How accurate is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoomie1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all

Just stumbled across this Reader's Digest article. Actually, it was linked from "The Angriest Pharmacist" blog. :)

I wanted to know if this accurately reflects what pharmacists would like their patients/clients to know, and if there are any additions or changes. Thanks!

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/13-secrets-from-your-pharmacist-/article98501.html

cheers!
zoomie

Members don't see this ad.

Everything except this:
8. Generics are a close match for most brand names. But I'd be careful with blood thinners and thyroid drugs, since small differences can have big effects.

That's mostly just bull**** some ******ed retail pharmacists pawn around. If this were true, there would be thousands of patients that couldn't take levothyroxine or warfarin because the differences in available strengths are much, much larger than any differences in a single strength between manufacturers. Plus, they are both instant release drugs. MAYBE I could see it if we are talking different extended release drugs as they might have differing absorption kinetics....but it's IR...the weighing machines they use at manufacturers are incredibly exact. I've seen them before. The ones at Mylan are exact to, like, 0.01% or something...I forget the exact number...but it's certainly a small, clinically insignificant number.

Wow, I hadn't read that article-haven't been in my grandma's bathroom in a few months.
I'd really like patients to know that it's irritating when they try to re-sell controlled substances they just bought out in the parking lot, I can't magically fill another prescription they pull out of their purse while I'm ringing up the ones they remembered to give me, "zero refills" means they have no more refills, as in "zzzzeeeerrrrrooooo", and coming in with a shiny new script for 300 IR 30mg morphine you got from an ER doc up the road doesn't mean I will fill it, especially if you are already slurring your words, staring at me with tiny pinprick pupils, and have a large group of friends with you who are mostly wearing sunglasses (at least they are not so wasted they remembered to put on the glasses).

Members don't see this ad :)
Reader's digest articles are so inaccurate. They can publish anything they want, try a site like PubMed - where everything is actually peer-reviewed.

Thanks for the replies and the info - especially to WVU for his insight.

zoomie

I read the article and cringed, but I had a different spin on #8 then WVU did. I assumed that meant transferring to generics from brand (which may not have been a valid assumption, I'll grant you) in which case we've been repeatedly told that could cause problems.

While I haven't researched the specific kinetics of the generics vs brand I could see 20% bioequiv being a problem on warfarin for needle & thread dosing. Either way, I don't think I've been in a store that really does comparasion shopping on bulk drugs. ;)

While I haven't researched the specific kinetics of the generics vs brand I could see 20% bioequiv being a problem on warfarin for needle & thread dosing.

One problem, your interpretation of therapeutic/bioequivalence standards is an oversimplified, inappropriately perpetuated misnomer.

One problem, your interpretation of therapeutic/bioequivalence standards is an oversimplified, inappropriately perpetuated misnomer.

There's no denying that. However that's what gets pounded into my head and frankly I'm not interested in research so there's no self-interest in studying it on my own.

However it still doesn't change the fact that it's the kinetics geeks and pharmacuetic professors that keep hounding not to switch warfarin generics.

Subsequent edit --
Just to show my loathing for the drug information questions, I decided to read up (online) the bioequivalence information out there and review my notes *cough* from last year (3 slides) total. The problem is with warfarin the intrapatient variation leading to downstream testing problems. Which given the bioequiv tests are mean driven makes sense.

Given that, show me something that makes bioequiv testing interesting outside of people that do it for a living to eddumakate my dumb*****. I read the FDA paper and skimmed several other sources on the web and have yet to find something that articulately describes the process without drowning in the too much detail.

It was the same problem I had last year when trying to learn this.

Last edited:
There's no denying that. However that's what gets pounded into my head and frankly I'm not interested in research so there's no self-interest in studying it on my own.

However it still doesn't change the fact that it's the kinetics geeks and pharmacuetic professors that keep hounding not to switch warfarin generics.

Ask your professors to show you any data proving this notion, they will not be able to. On the other hand, there have been very eloquent, controlled studies showing there is not much of a difference when switching between warfarin products.

Giventhat, show me something that makes bioequiv testing interesting outside of people that do it for a living to eddumakate my dumb*****. I read the FDA paper and skimmed several other sources on the web and have yet to find something that articulately describes the process without drowning in the too much detail.

It was the same problem I had last year when trying to learn this.

There was actually a very good, concise, not-too-detailed piece on this in the Pharmacist's Letter (July 2008). If you are a student, your school should make this valuable publication available to you. Here is what they cover (available at www.pharmacistsletter.com with subscription:

"Pharmacist's Letter addresses the drug therapy issues facing pharmacists. For example:

Where does the rumor that generics can vary by 20% more than branded drugs?

Can the amount of drug in a generic product or mean blood levels differ by 20% from brand name drugs?

How are generics deemed bioequivalent and interchangeable by the FDA?

How much do AB-rated generics differ on average from branded drugs?

What is a confidence interval and how does it apply to the generic approvals?"

They do point out, however, that generics are not always established as therapeutically equivalent to other generics, so this is a situation where closer monitoring/heightened concern/whatever may be warranted.thyroxine