How accurately did the practice tests from AAMC reflect your actual MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the free practice test from AAMC like 1 months ago and got 7 V, 10 BS, 11 PS. I didn't study at all but since I took most of the prerequisite courses this year (ochem, physics, bio), I did pretty okay on the science part. Since then I have been studying like 5 times a week, 3 hours a day for the past month. And then I just took 2 other practice tests on AAMC and got 33 and 34 respectively. Should I be considering taking MCAT on September or studying more to prepare to take on January instead? How much did the AAMC practice tests relfect your actual score?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it really depends on your nerves. My average was 34.XX (btwn 34-35). I ended up with a 32. So, I think it's good take that into account when looking at averages. But, I think you should have plenty of time to prepare by September.

I was consistently scoring in the 33-34 range. Got a 29 on the real thing, didn't expect that at all. Looking back, I would have scheduled it earlier so I had time to retake (which shouldn't be a problem for you, I assume you're not applying this cycle).

I scored about a 33 in my practices but ended up with a 37 on the real thing. I was really lucky because physics is my weakest subject but my PS didn't have optics or circuits which I'm really bad at. From what I've heard from my friends, they ended up getting around the same score as their practices ±2 or so. Go for it if you feel ready, but if you're already getting 33, 34 at this stage then I think you should be fine for a September test date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took two AAMC full-length practice exams and got in the mid-30s. My official score was 31R (10 PS, 10 BS, 11 VR).

They were pretty good predictors in general. I found that the AAMC exams were generally a bit easier compared to the Kaplan exams. It's hard to say with certainty, though, because on test day you could draw an atypically difficult passage (or two... ahem, bio).

I was consistently scoring in the 33-34 range. Got a 29 on the real thing, didn't expect that at all. Looking back, I would have scheduled it earlier so I had time to retake (which shouldn't be a problem for you, I assume you're not applying this cycle).

Same here. I felt like the real thing (and the AAMC practice tests) were easier than my Kaplan practice tests, but I did worse (32 vs. 35+ on practice tests). Maybe the grading was different/more strict or I was just more nervous, I dunno. :/

Should I be considering taking MCAT on September or studying more to prepare to take on January instead?

To add onto what I said above: I was in a similar position as you--I scheduled for a September sitting, with the plan that if I missed my score target (30+), I'd retake. I would definitely take as many practice full-length exams as possible before your test date to make sure your score is consistent and also to make sure you're hitting your target with sufficient margin (at least a couple of points higher, in my opinion). If you're not where you want to be, consider scheduling a January exam to give you enough time to build your confidence.

In this order, from test 3 to 11, I got:
36 - 3
35 - 4
34 - 5
39 - 7
41 - 8
36 - 9
38 - 10
39 - 11

Got a 37S on the real thing. I think, after my initial 36, I was a bit complacent with the next two tests, hence the 35 and 34, then decided to kick my butt into gear from there out. I still catch myself looking wistfully at the 39 and 41...but I'm happy enough with my 37. :)

Kaplan
Mean: 33
Median: 32
Range: 29-36

AAMC
Mean: 34
Median: 34
Range: 32-37

Score: 35

Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiety is your enemy. Learn to control everything within your power in order to stay calm during the test. After taking that into account the AAMC practice tests match up pretty well. Mine matched up perfectly.

PROTIP: There is no timer to start the exam. When I took my second administration I sat and meditated for 20 minutes before clicking 'okay' on my name to get started. During this time I concentrated on how lucky I was to be able to have the opportunity to take the exam, pursue my education, and all of my loved ones rooting for me. That really set my mind straight and I performed really well. :thumbup:

Edit: What I'm trying to say is this - keep your head right and your mid thirties will transfer for you. Most of the time people don't perform to their practice exams standards it is all about nerves.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can control your nerves, I will say that there is a good chance your real score will be equal to your AAMC median +/- 1

I scored about a 33 in my practices but ended up with a 37 on the real thing. I was really lucky because physics is my weakest subject but my PS didn't have optics or circuits which I'm really bad at. From what I've heard from my friends, they ended up getting around the same score as their practices ±2 or so. Go for it if you feel ready, but if you're already getting 33, 34 at this stage then I think you should be fine for a September test date.

Awesome!

Do people even bother reading the forums before they post questions anymore?

As alluded, this has been extensively surveyed before on the MCAT forum (I think >50 responses). The AAMC's are a very good predictor. Essentially a normal distribution (and a fairly steep one at that) about +/- one point from the AAMC average in the middle.

I got about 2 points lower than my average.. but as a bunch of people have said, it really depends on your test. You can get a few points higher or lower... hope for the best.

Although I haven't received my score yet, I would guess that there's a +/- 2 correlation. However, nerves will be your biggest enemy because it doesn't matter how much you know...if you're very nervous, you'll tank. Take FLs under "real" conditions and get used to the exam.

me too. i hope my test is like yours.

My aamc average was about 34. I got a 35 on the deal. I got the same thing on AAMC 10 though as I did on the real thing - a lot of my friends did too...just something to think about. I think its fair to think + or - 1 from your aamc average, provided you took most of your aamc tests when you were at least relatively prepared.

Also, I think that the AAMC tests are far more 'predictive' than 'reflective' - if that makes sense.