How am I doing, U of MN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015Vet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and I may be jumping the gun a little since I won't be going to vet school until (hopefully) 2011, but maybe not really since I will need to apply next year. Anyway, a little about me: I am 27, I have wanted to be a vet since I was six but convinced myself I couldn't do it. About a year ago I got up the courage to go back to school and pursue my dream! Here is what I am doing: I take full time classes at a State University, I have volunteered at a dog rescue since 2007, I am going to shadow a LA and a SA vet this summer, volunteer with LA neonatal team at the U of MN, planning to study abroad to work with a vet in Nicaragua for 2 weeks, I am a member of two horseback riding clubs, and I assist with kids riding lessons. What else should I be doing? Oh I also work full time and own and show a horse. Also does anyone have advice for trying to get into the U of MN? I toured and met with the dean of admissions. It is IS for me and has a great equine program, so I really want to go there. I also did a lot of Vet shadowing and assisting when I was younger (up until age 16) can I count that in my vet experience? Thanks!

P.S. Congrats to all who got in this year, especially LVT, I don't know you but your story was so inspirational!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are right on track, congrats!!

As long as you do well in your classses (which I bet you are!) you seem like a solid applicant! Just rock those GREs! I would also think you can definitely count the old shadowing in your veterinary experience.

Sounds like you are right on track, congrats!!

As long as you do well in your classses (which I bet you are!) you seem like a solid applicant!
Thanks! I am getting so excited especially reading the acceptance posts, they give me goosebumps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I am doing: I take full time classes at a State University, I have volunteered at a dog rescue since 2007, I am going to shadow a LA and a SA vet this summer, volunteer with LA neonatal team at the U of MN, planning to study abroad to work with a vet in Nicaragua for 2 weeks, I am a member of two horseback riding clubs, and I assist with kids riding lessons.

Were you at the neonatal training on Monday night? I was there!

Best of luck to you!

Were you at the neonatal training on Monday night? I was there!

Best of luck to you!

No, I wasn't there, I had a final that night. I contacted the volunteer coordinator to set up a different time.

Awww damn. That would have been too crazy.

MN is my school of choice too. I'm probably not applying until 2011 too because I have a ton of work to do first. I'm changing over from the glamorous legal life to science now. Good stuff!

Awww damn. That would have been too crazy.

MN is my school of choice too. I'm probably not applying until 2011 too because I have a ton of work to do first. I'm changing over from the glamorous legal life to science now. Good stuff!

OMG that is too funny, one of the many careers I tried before I decided to do this was paralegal! I worked at a law firm for about 5 months and ran screaming! Good thing I had only done 3 quarters of the school. Good luck to you too, we should stay in touch with each other as we progress, maybe we will be classmates in 2 years!

It looks like you have decent small animal and large animal experience. If you can find it I would recommend trying to add in some zoo or research experience. Otherwise you should be fine.

OK you check out!!! Smile. E-mail me at the address I provided in my PM and I will send you my worthless CV/info. I WILL see you in 2 years when I am a 3rd year and you are my "little sister". If I can do this at 30+ you can too, with bells on. If it makes you feel better, I was the oldest person accepted at U WI:cool:
Kai

Thanks "bro" :D I did send you a looooong rambling email, so sorry in advance!