How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deltama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior (Molecular and Microbiology Major with a minor in Humanities) in a 4yr university in FL. Having some academic confidence issues and just looking to see if I still have a shot at med school (MD).

Extracurriculars are pretty good: numerous officer positions in student organizations, volunteering, and research experience since spring semester of my freshman year.

The trouble comes with my GPA: cGPA is 3.34 and a 3.53 in my major.

Spring semester of my freshman year I was taking 17hrs, volunteering, doing research, and participated in 3 organizations (holding an officer position in one and a directorship in another). As a result I got a C in Gen Chem 1, and Bs across the board.

The following summer I received a C+ in Gen Chem 2 and a B+ in Gen Microbio. This was due to getting Mono halfway through the semester.

This past semester (Spring 2010) I received a C in Organic 2, but I got an A- in Organic 1.

I'm getting concerned because I'v been trying to bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5. If I retake Gen Chem 1 and get an A my GPA will be a 3.464. Should I retake Gen Chem 1? Or just push for all As for my last 4 semesters? I also plan to start shadowing, TAing, and studying for the MCAT.

How am I doing? Comments and concerns? Any and all consructive criticism is appreciated =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Still looking for some feedback =\

Have you taken physics yet?
I say you drop some of your EC for first semester of junior year and focus on getting As in physics I and II. And for the Cs in Gen Chem and Orgo II, I would not retake, since you are a science major anyway you will take plenty more science clases, you should just do really well in Biochemistry and all the upper-level sciences you plan on taking.
And one last thing, since your GPA wont be that stellar, and since it looks as if you have enough EC, i would completely drop all EC second semester of Junior and just focus on sudying for the MCAT while taking your classes, That is only if you plan on taking the MCAT after your Junior year. Cause you will need a good pretty Descent MCAT score.

If you can accomplish this I think you should be straight.
just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
You are making the mistake of biting off more than you can chew. There is no point to developing all these wonderful ECs, if you lose sight of your first priority, namely a high GPA.

IMO, you don't need to repeat the Cs in prerequisites unless you didn't understand the material well enough to excel on the MCAT. But you do need a great grade in Biochem and in other upper-level science classes that you take on, so as to convince adcomms that you'll succeed in their science-intense program.

Don't be in such a rush to do everything. There is nothing sacred about applying to med school after junior or senior year. Take your time and develop each component of your application so it represents the best that you are capable of, even if it means applying 2-3 years from now.

You gave your cGPA as 3.34, but failed to state your BCPM GPA which I suspect is much lower. With a year of straight As, your GPA could rise to 3.56. With two years, it could be a 3.67, which is the competitive point you'll ideally end up at. I'll leave it to you to calculate your potential BCPM which should be close to your cGPA when you apply to allopathic med schools.

You can still have a good shot at med schools eventually, but consider trimming some of your activities to a more manageable level.

Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be dropping a few things to focus on my GPA =P