how am i doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably cheesy, but I'm pretty clueless as to what's "good" as far as scores. For Kaplan mock test #2, I got a 10verbal, 9bio, and 8physics...which makes a 27. How is that? I've heard something about needing to get a 30...is that the scores I should aim for? sorry for my ignorance. thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the web sites of med schools that you're interested in and see what their average MCAT is. This is what you should shoot for. The mean MCAT for admitted students ~30, which is why it is considered a good baseline target for all applicants.

I thought the mean MCAT for people accepted was a 29 and the mean for people matriculating from med school was 30.

You probably want to score higher on practice tests because I personally feel that most people do worse on the real thing due to pressure etc. Only an opinion though.

i don't know how one can matriculate 'from' med school, however, the average mcat score for matriculants is, indeed, about a 30

this data presented by AAMC will give you a better idea of how you are doing then this forum will

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg6d2002a.htm

also, you can search and locate numerous threads attesting to the general accuracy of practice tests as fairly reliable predictors for actual test scores, especially if you take multiple practice tests