How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTTM26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm posting to get some feedback on how I'm doing right now, just to get some advice for the future.

I'm about to be a Junior (Molecular Bio major, History minor), taking the MCAT in about 14 days. I have a 3.85 GPA, research in the ALS (Lou Gehrig's) lab at my school, am an officer for the Mortar Board Honor society. I'm in the University Honors program and I teach a Bollywood aerobics dance class at my school's rec center. For the sake of argument, let's pretend I got a 29R on the MCAT (and if you have any tips on how to break 30, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

I'm hoping to apply next summer and was hoping to get some feedback on where I need to step it up a notch (GPA and clinical experience for sure). Assuming I am high 20's on the MCAT, should I legitimately think about taking it again in January? What schools should I look into? Any other feedback you'd be willing to provide.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It would have been a good idea to get your clinical experience started about 6 months ago, so that is a good place to "step up a notch" with your efforts. You'll need to get in some physician shadowing eventually too, but there's no rush on that. It can be done last minute. I'm also not seeing any nonmedical community service that helps those with poor economic resources. This is something a lot of schools will look for.

If you are scoring in the high 20s on MCAT practice tests, why not put the test off until at least January. What is the point of taking the test early with a plan to retake? Wait until you are scoring in your target range repeatedly.

Your EC's are lacking (they are too general and nonmedical). Your MCAT is average. Your GPA is slightly above average.

If you are one of those ORM's you will need to distinguish yourself a bit more, or apply broadly and pray/charm the interviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you are ORM based off your description. I honestly believe you have a GREAT chance at getting into a top-20 school, IF you get a 35+ MCAT score. If you have a 3.85 you most likely have the capacity to do this, trust me. I am a regular joe and just used a good study plan to get 38+; don't settle for 33, let alone 29. All of these extra societies and university honors programs are not as important as that number you get on the MCAT, and since you are a junior you have the time.

Set your MCAT goal at a 45. Study like you want a 45.

I am a sophmore, majoring in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry. I have a 3.8 GPA and am almost 50% done with my degree. I have 51 hours at school. I have almost no hours shadowing but i will start doing that soon. I plan to go ahead and start going over some stuff for the MCAT, would that be totally useless?. i just need to get on the right track of things to make sure I hopefully get into medical school by the time i am 22. Anything would really help. I just need to see what all needs to be done from here on out!

I am a sophmore, majoring in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry. I have a 3.8 GPA and am almost 50% done with my degree. I have 51 hours at school. I have almost no hours shadowing but i will start doing that soon. I plan to go ahead and start going over some stuff for the MCAT, would that be totally useless?. i just need to get on the right track of things to make sure I hopefully get into medical school by the time i am 22. Anything would really help. I just need to see what all needs to be done from here on out!

Ask your schools health professions adviser and creep around here and read posts for awhile. You will catch on.

Thanks. I attend a small College. about 6,000 students in total. they offer about maybe 10 Bachelor's Degree's so everything is just starting. I don't know if that will help with the amount of information I could get on campus.

Thanks. I attend a small College. about 6,000 students in total. they offer about maybe 10 Bachelor's Degree's so everything is just starting. I don't know if that will help with the amount of information I could get on campus.
You are welcome to start your own What Are My Chances thread to get personalized advice.