How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singhgs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on how I'm doing so far in Undergrad (About to enter Junior Year)
cGPA is a 3.5, sGPA is a 3.4
I have been taking some practice MCATs- getting around a 30/31 ballpark (hope to increase it before I take it in May)
I have shadowing and volunteer hours (In hospitals/ inner city)
I have ~6 months of research experience thus far
I have had two summer internships in IT
I attend a top-premed university
I am involved in 3 Clubs (Officer of 2 of them)
I have finished all of the pre med requirements

This year I will be taking more science classes and hopefully raise my GPA

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What does "a top pre-med university" mean? and what research experience do you have? Did you have a project, or did you learn to run Westerns, PCR's, cellular work (transfections, transductions, passaging, freezing, etc...), animal work (surgery, tail vein injections, imaging, etc...)....meaning, just did the procedures?

It looks like you will have a solid app. You have 2/3 of the grades... make this year count, and bring it up by .1 or .2 points. You'll definitely be competitive. Good job!

My concern is the MCAT averages you've been getting. Can't you get a little higher? Your GPA is a bit on the low end, so either bring up your MCAT or GPA, or both if you can. Just remember that there are applicants with 3.9/35, so do the best you can.

Also, how many hours shadowing/volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks decent but nothing you're doing really tells us that you want to be a doctor. Two summer internships in IT definitely don't help your case there... Next summer you should try to do something medically oriented or research oriented.

As a student entering into his junior year, a 30/31 is on the right track assuming that you will keep on improving throughout the year and with more rigorous studying as the MCAT date comes closer

It is august now and your getting 30-31 and you're not taking the mcat until may :eek: OP should definitely be able to pull a 34+ mcat if they continue studying. Just try to bring the sci. gpa up a little and you'll be golden ;)

That looks pretty stellar. I'm impressed, esp. since your practice MCAT scores are already in the 30s, and you haven't actually taken it yet. I think you're on the right track. Not sure if your aiming to get into a "top medical school"/ top tier school, but if not, just get you GPA up and I think you'll be fine.

My concern is the MCAT averages you've been getting. Can't you get a little higher? Your GPA is a bit on the low end, so either bring up your MCAT or GPA, or both if you can. Just remember that there are applicants with 3.9/35, so do the best you can.

Also, how many hours shadowing/volunteering?

Definitely try to get that GPA up. All A's would probably help. Let others have said, if you aren't testing until May, you seem ahead of the game on your MCAT scores.

This too. Hours? What kind of volunteering was it specifically?