How am I going to pay for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liverfingers

holla back girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stafford loans, GradPlus loans, etc... it's all so confusing.

Help please? I'm probably going to be borrowing 100%, and the school I'm looking at is 70k/year of attendance... so how am I going to pay for all of it?
Anyone in a similar situation?
 
I hear ya, its so confusing! get all the grants and loans you can! ill be entering med school in two years! best of luck to ya!
 
dont worry. The financial aid office at your school is fully equiped to help you figure it all out. Its their job. Call them if they havent contacted you yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our wonderfull medical schools have worked hard to make it difficult for poor regular folks to get a medical education these days. Yet they preach altruism and equality all day. Disgusting IMO.
 
Check out the financial aid forum here. Loads of info.

The basics: get whatever institutional aid you can - ask your financial aid office. Then borrow all the federal money you can. Then if you need more to round out your COA, that's when you turn to private loans.

I come from a middle class family, and while you'll have tons of debt, it's definitely doable.