How are adcoms selected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a previous post, but I couldn't find similar threads using my keywords. How are adcom members selected to interview applicants/ review applications? My wife is friends with a physician that assist with two medical schools in our state (not sure how he is able to do that). I was a committee member for my universities ambassador program and really enjoyed it. So I feel like it would be something to get into after medical school or I may despise all universities by then.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a previous post, but I couldn't find similar threads using my keywords. How are adcom members selected to interview applicants/ review applications? My wife is friends with a physician that assist with two medical schools in our state (not sure how he is able to do that). I was a committee member for my universities ambassador program and really enjoyed it. So I feel like it would be something to get into after medical school or I may despise all universities by then.
Are they voluntary faculty for both, perhaps?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably depends on the school, but at my school students can interview applicants and be on the admissions committee. I'm sure my school isn't the only school that lets students participate in the admissions process, so you might have a chance to participate while you're a med student!

Reactions: 1 user
Virtually every school as well as virtually every committee in AMA and most other medical association has students participating. Past chair of AMA as well as past Surgeon General started their political/leadership careers as students or residents on committees.

So...what you're saying is...I have a chance at becoming surgeon general?

Reactions: 4 users
at the school where i work, all med students and faculty are sent a volunteer email invite. the ones who respond participate in the lower levels of the admissions committee. not sure how the higher ups are chosen/apply

Virtually every school as well as virtually every committee in AMA and most other medical association has students participating. Past chair of AMA as well as past Surgeon General started their political/leadership careers as students or residents on committees.
at the school where i work, all med students and faculty are sent a volunteer email invite. the ones who respond participate in the lower levels of the admissions committee. not sure how the higher ups are chosen/apply
Probably depends on the school, but at my school students can interview applicants and be on the admissions committee. I'm sure my school isn't the only school that lets students participate in the admissions process, so you might have a chance to participate while you're a med student!
Wow. I thought I would have to wait until after medical school or something along those lines. I've always wanted to help students after I finish medical school and I feel like that would be one way to learn a lot about the process.

I was asked by the wily old Admissions dean some 17 years ago. Nowadays most of our faculty are expected to interview.

At many schools, the faculty volunteer for this, as it's part of, or fulfills their service obligations.

You? Maybe Family Practice Corporal at best!

Take a look at former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders. started as a share cropper's daughters and went to the top
Joycelyn Elders - Wikipedia

Haha wow. I am so grateful those super ambitious people exist, because someone needs to do those difficult jobs and it ain't gonna be me cuz I am lazy as f***.

Reactions: 2 users