How are extracurriculars listed on the med school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to learn more about how the whole med school application works, its similarities/differences to the Common App used for undergrad admissions, etc. I was just wondering how extracurriculars/volunteering/shadowing/research etc are submitted? Is it similar to the Common App in which they provide us with 10 slots to write in up to 10 activities with a limited amount of words to describe the experience? Or is it mostly like submitting a direct resume to each school alongside the application? I've heard of people doing numerous activities throughout their undergrad and get into prestigious med schools, so I'm just wondering if/how everything can be submitted?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to learn more about how the whole med school application works, its similarities/differences to the Common App used for undergrad admissions, etc. I was just wondering how extracurriculars/volunteering/shadowing/research etc are submitted? Is it similar to the Common App in which they provide us with 10 slots to write in up to 10 activities with a limited amount of words to describe the experience? Or is it mostly like submitting a direct resume to each school alongside the application? I've heard of people doing numerous activities throughout their undergrad and get into prestigious med schools, so I'm just wondering if/how everything can be submitted?
For the AMCAS application you have 15 spaces to list your activities. However, most applicants DO NOT use all of them, in fact, 9-10 are the average entered. You are generally allowed 700 characters for discussion for each space, but can choose up to three that are the most meaningful for further commentary, adding up to 1325 additional characters. The categories you can choose from are:
Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Conferences Attended
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
Military Service
Other
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical