How Are My Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know my numbers are good (3.69 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, and 33 MCAT (13 PS, 9 V, 11 BS), but I was wondering how my EC's are? Am I fine with what I have?

Clinical Experience:
- Have been volunteering at a free clinic since this past August; 3 hours per week (~125 hours total); lot of patient interaction; we get to take their vital signs and record their complaints/symptoms
- Volunteered as a care extender in the hospital from May 2011 to February 2012; 4 hours per week (~100 hours total); lot of clerical stuff and answering phones involved, but there is still some patient contact since we go around and talk to patients, see if they need anything, etc. I didn't get as much out of this as my free clinic gig; also, I did leave during the middle of the program (didn't complete the full year)
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 15 hours and general surgeon for 20 hours (both in the OR and in clinic); definitely got something out of it
- Went on a medical mission trip to Panama; we took their histories and assessed their conditions; measured their vital signs as well; proposed possible diagnoses to actual doctors; this was only for 1 week though (~50 hours)

Research:
-Been working in an interventional neuroradiology lab since August 2011; this is clinical research, not bench research; putting in around 5 hours per week; led a couple of my own projects; my abstract got published in the Stroke Journal (supposed to be one of the best), and I presented a research poster for my project at the International Stroke Conference (sponsored by the American Heart Association)

Non-Medical Volunteering:
-Circle K International- very involved in this during my junior and senior years; ~400 community service hours and ~1000 administrative/social hours put into this; also held a LEADERSHIP POSITION as an officer for a year
-Habitat for Humanity- went on a Spring Break trip where we built houses in New Orleans; ~50 hours total

Tutoring:
-Been working as a tutor at a tutoring center; most of the students there are underserved/disadvantaged

Miscellaneous Activities:
-Been a part of a fraternity since the beginning of my sophomore year; was the scholastic chair for a year; been putting in ~400 hours per year, although most of it is social; I imagine it would help with well-roundedness
-Had a job freshman year at the campus cafe
-Been participating in a culture club and club tennis (moderate level of involvement)
-Participated in a study abroad program in Europe through my school; 5 weeks long; definitely a lot of fun, and I can say that I got a lot out of it; program was about European history
-Hobbies- been playing chess and tennis for 10+ years now; I joined club tennis here at my school; we didn't really have a chess club or anything like that

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely fine with what you have! You've covered all the bases, such volunteer work (clinical and non-clinical), research, leadership, and hobbies