How are re-applicants generally viewed by schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Resilient and committed. I like that
2. Rejected before? Hmm red flag?
3. Don’t care

??

Members don't see this ad.

They are going to want to know what you’ve done to improve your application since last year. If you don’t have a good answer to that you’re in a poor place.

They want to see more dental experience, better dat, better essays, better grades, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
It probably depends on the school. Any school will want to see a significant change in your application.

I know specifically that University of Oklahoma is more likely to accept you if you are a reapplicant, and they have a good feedback process for people that don’t get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed that it is what you did to improve your application that matters. They have a question on the AADSAS application where you need to describe what you did differently.

After an admissions cycle, you can usually call admissions offices to inquire about why your application was unsuccessful. It is important that you not only address those issues, but also demonstrate further commitment to dentistry. Sometimes they may set a higher standard for reapplicants vs those who are just applying for the first time.

The predental society at my school had a meeting where the guest speaker from the San Antonio dental school came to visit. He said reapplicants and nontraditionals are viewed more favorable as they are assumed to be mature. The essay should also show why you still want to be a dentist and what you've done to show it. If there was a career change, they should show more dental related activities/state the reason why for the career change. Hope that helped!

Reactions: 1 user