Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How are Verbal Scores Low?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by CaNEM, Jun 13, 2002.

1. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

I was under the impression that MCAT scores were assigned by percentile-rank ranges. i.e., 47%-53% = 8 or whatever. If this is true, then how can verbal scores in general be low? How can ANY subtest average be low or high? Shouldn't it always be the same?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

thats kinda what i thought, but if you look at the charts over the year, the averages can move up or down by a bit, so it is quite possible that the scores were lower this year. i think.
    -jot

4. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

The average verbal score went from a 8.6 last year to a 7.8 this year... that's why they're low. :)

I believe the MCAT people also use pervious year's results to make up the scales.

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by relatively prime:
    <strong>The average verbal score went from a 8.6 last year to a 7.8 this year... that's why they're low. :)

I believe the MCAT people also use pervious year's results to make up the scales.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The average last year (for the April 2001 test) was 8.0 not 8.6.

6. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by relatively prime:
    <strong>
    I believe the MCAT people also use pervious year's results to make up the scales.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why do you think this? It seems to me that this would be a blatant misuse of statistics and the normalization process. You could be right, but I'd be REALLY surprised if they "calibrated" scores each year based on the performance of the previous years' test-takers.

7. Hendooneh

Hendooneh Member

like you said MCAT scores are based on rankings, imagine if 100 people take the mcat and everyone who took the mcat got the same verbal score except for 1 person who scored just 1 point higher. This means that 1 person was in the 99% while everyone else was in the 1%. So 1 person would get a 15 and everyone else would get 1. average score probably 1.00000001

At least this is how I think it works.