How are you paying for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How are you paying for dental school?

• Family

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • Federal Loans

Votes: 76 74.5%
  • Private Loans

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Military

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Service Corps

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Scholarships & Grants

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Hookin' on the streets (aka other: give explaination)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingrao

Maximum Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not knowing any other dental students, I'd really like to hear about how you guys are planning to fund dental school. If you have any other ways not listed, please comment!!

Members don't see this ad.

tumblr_lei9j1jVQT1qas5xlo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Best show ever created and I don't think I'm exaggerating.

Student loans and my wife works.

Best show ever created and I don't think I'm exaggerating.

Yeh, it was VERY well written (By actual people who worked in police departments). I swear HBO makes the best TV shows out of any other network (Sophranos, The Wire, G.O.T, Carnivale, Rome). Rare exception = B.S.G

what is this show?!?! hyped for it.

The Wire. Watch it. Gives an amazing view of urban plight and the varying influences contributing to and stemming from this world.

The man in the GIF is Omar. Amazing character. Commits crimes with an unbelievable moral code.

Yeh, it was VERY well written (By actual people who worked in police departments). I swear HBO makes the best TV shows out of any other network (Sophranos, The Wire, G.O.T, Carnivale, Rome). Rare exception = B.S.G

omar_little_indeed.jpg

Must be nice to have mommy and daddy pay for school LOL. I envy you all that have that opportunity!

The Wire. Watch it. Gives an amazing view of urban plight and the varying influences contributing to and stemming from this world.

The man in the GIF is Omar. Amazing character. Commits crimes with an unbelievable moral code.

Watched every season during my first year of dental school in Baltimore. Best show of all time, IMO (just edging out The Sopranos).

Snoop from The Wire lives/lived in the apartments across from the dental school. A couple of my friends (also avid fans of the show) found themselves in the elevator with her a few times....said he looks just as hard as she does in the show.

Having watched the show also makes for a major adrenaline rush whenever the GPS unexpectedly routes me through the Baltimore ghetto.

Last edited:
Snoop is just as hard as she is in the show. She's got multiple drug offenses including an arrest this March and spent time in jail for a second-degree murder when she was younger.

Does anyone else find it extremely stressful thinking about getting so deep in student debt? I'd be looking at about 300k in debt if I get into my least expensive dental school.

Does anyone else find it extremely stressful thinking about getting so deep in student debt? I'd be looking at about 300k in debt if I get into my least expensive dental school.

It literally keeps me up at night. It will be well worth it though and I've spoken to a few health professionals who say thatyes they have debt but they have never worried about it. They keep it on the back burners and their lives arent very affected, if at all, by them.

Yes, the debt is alarming and it should be. I think that dentistry will look a lot different in 15 years than it does today. I do believe there will be an end to mom and pop dentistry.

I plan on borrowing within the budget and giving back what I don't use. If you take out the max and give it back within 120 days then no interest will be applied to what you give back.

I don't know what else to do, it cost to be the boss.

Yes, the debt is alarming and it should be. I think that dentistry will look a lot different in 15 years than it does today. I do believe there will be an end to mom and pop dentistry.

I plan on borrowing within the budget and giving back what I don't use. If you take out the max and give it back within 120 days then no interest will be applied to what you give back.

I don't know what else to do, it cost to be the boss.

you got a link where I can see that in writing? what kind of loans does this apply to?

I'm fairly certain that interest is charged unless the full loan amount is given back. ie. if it's an unsubsidized loan of $10,000, the entire $10,000 must be paid back to have the interest forgiven

From your MPN:

INTEREST
Unless ED notifies me in writing of a lower rate, the interest rate for any loan I receive under this MPN is determined using a formula specified in the Act. As explained in the Borrower's Rights and Responsibilities Statement, I will be notified of the actual interest rate for each loan that I receive. ED does not charge interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan during an in school, grace, or deferment period, and during certain periods of repayment under the Income-Based Repayment Plan. ED charges interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan during all other periods (including forbearance periods), starting on the day after my grace period ends. ED charges interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods (including in-school, grace, deferment, and forbearance periods), starting on the date of the first disbursement. I agree to pay all interest that is charged to me. I will be given the opportunity to pay the interest that accrues during grace, in school, deferment, forbearance, or other periods as provided under the Act. If I do not pay the interest, I understand that ED may capitalize the interest at the end of the grace, deferment, forbearance, or other period.

But later in the contract there is this:

13. Canceling your loan.
Before your loan money is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of your loan at any time by notifying your school. After your loan money is disbursed, there are two ways to cancel all or part of your loan:

• If your school obtains your written confirmation of the types and amounts of Title IV loans that you want to receive for an award year before crediting loan money to your account at the school, you may tell the school that you want to cancel all or part of that loan within 14 days after the date the school notifies you of your right to cancel all or part of the loan, or by the first day of your school's payment period, whichever is later (your school can tell you the first day of the payment period). If the school does not obtain your written confirmation of the types and amounts of loans you want to receive before crediting the loan money to your account, you may cancel all or part of that loan by informing the school within 30 days of the date the school notifies you of your right to cancel all or part of the loan. In either case, your school will return the cancelled loan amount to us. You do not have to pay interest or the loan fee on the part of your loan that you tell your school to cancel within these timeframes. If you received an up-front interest rebate on your loan, the rebate does not apply to the part of your loan that you tell your school to cancel. Your loan will be adjusted to eliminate any interest, loan fee, and rebate amount that applies to the amount of the loan that was cancelled.

If you ask your school to cancel all or part of your loan outside the timeframes described above, your school may process your cancellation request, but it is not required to do so.

• Within 120 days of the date your school disbursed your loan money (by crediting the loan money to your account at the school, by paying it directly to you, or both), you may return all or part of your loan to us. Contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center for guidance on how and where to return your loan money. You do not have to pay interest or the loan fee on the part of your loan that you return within 120 days of the date that part of your loan is disbursed. If you received an up-front interest rebate on your loan, the rebate does not apply to the part of your loan that you return. Your loan will be adjusted to eliminate any interest, loan fee, and rebate amount that applies to the amount of the loan that you return.

So there you go.

Of course, the above is for federal loans. Private loans are possibly different.

My wife is doing federal loans (and I work). From the early numbers though, it looks like the loans will only cover tuition/books/supplies. We may have to do a private loan for child care expenses. I wish we could get more detailed info before school is actually starting. :(