Paying off some debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat__cat!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had 100k from my parent to pay back some of the student loans. I’m in my second year now and estimate of ~400k in student debt when I graduate. My question is should i pay all 100k now or divide it into monthly payment to pay off the accrused interest and some principle. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If I was given 100k for school loans, I would pay off my loans with the highest interest rate. Federal loans are 0% till the end of January; thus, I would wait till the 0% rate expires.

Reactions: 2 users
If I was given 100k for school loans, I would pay off my loans with the highest interest rate. Federal loans are 0% till the end of January; thus, I would wait till the 0% rate expires.
Why would you wait for the 0% rate to expire? Wouldn’t it be better to pay things down now before they accrue more interest once the 0% rate is returned to the normal rates?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you wait for the 0% rate to expire? Wouldn’t it be better to pay things down now before they accrue more interest once the 0% rate is returned to the normal rates?
You never know if Biden will extend the rate!! But you are correct in paying things down before interest starts kicking in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They wouldn't extend. They need money now for their expensive "popularity" projects and you are considered to be "rich"so expect to be ripped off till your death
Pay off interest, so it doesn't accumulate

They wouldn't extend. They need money now for their expensive "popularity" projects and you are considered to be "rich"so expect to be ripped off till your death
Pay off interest, so it doesn't accumulate

Payment paused and rate extended till Sept 30th.

If I give you 100$ and tell you to give it back to me in 1 year. Why would you give it back to me tomorrow. You can still use those 100$ in the year ahead in case something happens. Invest it, save it in a bank account, etc. As long as student loans are at 0%, don't pay them back. It won't make any difference in your interest.

I had 100k from my parent to pay back some of the student loans. I’m in my second year now and estimate of ~400k in student debt when I graduate. My question is should i pay all 100k now or divide it into monthly payment to pay off the accrused interest and some principle. Thank you
Put that money in a high yield savings account or a six-month CD. Assuming the 0% interest ends 09/31, put all the money towards it right before interest starts again

If I give you 100$ and tell you to give it back to me in 1 year. Why would you give it back to me tomorrow. You can still use those 100$ in the year ahead in case something happens. Invest it, save it in a bank account, etc. As long as student loans are at 0%, don't pay them back. It won't make any difference in your interest.
Agreed. Although your parents may specifically have said this should be used for student debt payment, starting a Roth IRA and maxing it out for the year is huge. Only 6000 bucks and the return on that would be way more than the student loan interest of that missing 6000

need earned income to do this
Agreed. Although your parents may specifically have said this should be used for student debt payment, starting a Roth IRA and maxing it out for the year is huge. Only 6000 bucks and the return on that would be way more than the student loan interest of that missing 6000

Reactions: 3 users