How are you paying for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not you could a scholarship for medical school. I thought every one took out loans. Ok I know this brilliant guy. 3.9 GPA all through undergraduate school ( his mom told me) and he got a very good in his MCAT and he has a master in biochemistry ( combined degree) and he had to take out $100K to cover his expenses and he is going to a very expensive medical school. He is going to USF medicine.

""There's nothing wrong with a one-hitter, there, Barbie. In fact, it's miraculous. And I won't have you of all people cheapen what should be an endless pursuit of perfection just because you want the world to laugh with you tonight. Now, call it."

Is that from that one scrub episode where Dr. Cox keeps his 12 patients alive all night and then one of them dies like 5 min before 12am the next day?

Is your grammar really this bad? That post was almost unreadable.

As for scholarships, yes, really accomplished students from really good schools occasionally get scholarships. Don't count on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I 'm trying to get into the Army program for a couple of reasons.
A: Philosophically, I do not want to be that far into debt. If I can't get into the HSPS, I'll go through the government program someone mentioned earlier. I'm much more interested in
B: I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm definitely more interested internal care or pediatrics than any serious specialties (I checked and the Army can use pediatricians).
C: Honestly, I really do want to serve my country. I'm not going into medicine for the money, so I couldn't care less about the pay, and being posted overseas would be a bonus for me.

If you run a crystal meth lab out of your basement, you can list it on your AMCAS and pay for medical school. Two birds with one stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
A: Philosophically, I do not want to be that far into debt. If I can't get into the HSPS, I'll go through the government program someone mentioned earlier. I'm much more interested in
B: I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm definitely more interested internal care or pediatrics than any serious specialties (I checked and the Army can use pediatricians).
C: Honestly, I really do want to serve my country. I'm not going into medicine for the money, so I couldn't care less about the pay, and being posted overseas would be a bonus for me.

I'm agree with the points above and am doing it for the same reasons.

I have looked at the military forum, which is chock full of criticism. I'm examining all my options. I appreciate the intentions of people that try to present the info. I have the info. It's up to me to make the decision.

I'm also trying to schedule time to shadow an air force physician, so i can really see what it's about.

another factor to consider is that i have $60000 in loans already to repay. On top of that, my top choices right now are GWU and Georgetown which are far from cheap.

Coolio. I'm glad you've thought it through.

I've just run into a lot of people who think its sounds so fabulous because you don't get loans - until they consider everything I mentioned.

It sounds like it actually will be a good fit for you. Some people do do it JUST for the money factor and I wanted to make sure they realize its not worth it in that respect.

I considered it for a while, but I don't like being told what to do so I realized it wasn't a good fit for me. :oops:

Good luck, I hope you get in!

(also remember if you aren't sure when you graduate med school you can go to the army as just a general practitioner with only an intern year and then do residency later - it will give you more time to decide, more experience and will make you overall a more competitive residency applicant)

i'm selling my spleen on the blackmarket.

who needs an immune system anyway?

How common is it to borrow every penny? I am a twin (the other half plans on grad school), and one of four - my parents own a failing business. I don't have money.The only schools that seem to be offering FULL loans are in the Caribbean

i second this question... minus the details of course

Loans...and more loans with a couple of scholarships thrown in. :D

I am hoping for a little financial assistance then the rest on loans...The school I am applying to offers tuition reimbursement for what is called the Rural Scholars Track. It requires 5 years in an under served rural area after residency. Does anyone have any opinions on this option?

bumpity bump bump

I am hoping for a little financial assistance then the rest on loans...The school I am applying to offers tuition reimbursement for what is called the Rural Scholars Track. It requires 5 years in an under served rural area after residency. Does anyone have any opinions on this option?

I wouldn't do it. As I mentioned to the person considering the army. There are PLENTY of opportunities that you can take up AFTER medical school if thats what you want.

They'll just have you work for 4-5 years and give you a salary while also "forgiving" like 50k of your loans each year.

Same exact result. The difference is? You get to decide AFTER you've gone through school and know what specialty you want. Sometimes the rural tracks, primary care promises, etc. have really specific specialty requirements - and you don't want to be told which specialty you're doing for the rest of your life you want it to be something you love.

And if you change your mind - the penalties and pay back interest rates are RIDICULOUS.

There will be plenty of opportunities to have your loans forgiven after the fact - just take the loans for now and worry about whos going to pay for them later.

To be honest, if you're that conscious about loans, after you complete residency in a semi-competitive program, you'll get lots of calls and snail mail from hospitals that want you to work in their area for a larger sum of money than if you were to go to a suburban area. No need to sell your soul until after you're done training.

No need to sell your soul until after you're done training.

Hell, if some of the posts here are any indication, some of those freshly-minted docs will have sold their souls to get into med school in the first place. They'll have to go ahead and start hawking kidneys and ****.