how bad are 3 W's ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohdangevo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm dropping 3 courses this semester - how bad does it look on the admissions committee for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

ohdangevo said:
i'm dropping 3 courses this semester - how bad does it look on the admissions committee for medical school?

As long as you can explain it (either in your primary, secondary or interview) with a clear, good reason, you'll be fine. I had more than 3 and got into several schools. Also, it does not get included in your AMCAS gpa.

Keep on keepin' on - you'll make it!

what excuses did you use? i'm afraid the adcom will not feel sorry for you, and will think of it as an excuse , my real excuse is risk of getting C's , i will not tell them that. what should i do?

Members don't see this ad :)
TAKE THE Cs LIKE A MAN!!!! or WOMAN!!! whichever the case may be.

2tall said:
TAKE THE Cs LIKE A MAN!!!! or WOMAN!!! whichever the case may be.

but it will get affected into your overall GPA Though?

don't you need a good overall gpa and a good science gpa?

Unless you have a really good reason, wont adcoms be a bit suspicious about you dropping 3 classes? Tough call, but I'd say take the C's and if you must, take some extra classes to raise the GPA up

ohdangevo said:
what excuses did you use? i'm afraid the adcom will not feel sorry for you, and will think of it as an excuse , my real excuse is risk of getting C's , i will not tell them that. what should i do?

Umm, I think that is exactly my point, I assumed that you had something (family emergency, illness, other event) happen, like I did. I don't think I can help you. It never even crossed my mind that you would withdraw from 3 classes for grade reasons.

You might consider taking incompletes, if that is possible. I know you are probably too stressed right now to think about this, but I think you should consider why you are getting 3 Cs in the first place. And, what can you change so that you will succeed in the future.

Cheerfulgrrl said:
Umm, I think that is exactly my point, I assumed that you had something (family emergency, illness, other event) happen, like I did. I don't think I can help you. It never even crossed my mind that you would withdraw from 3 classes for grade reasons.

You might consider taking incompletes, if that is possible. I know you are probably too stressed right now to think about this, but I think you should consider why you are getting 3 Cs in the first place. And, what can you change so that you will succeed in the future.

Which part of yoru application to medical school did you explain your W's ? Did the interviewer ask you about that? How did you respond? Can you please fill me in on details, thanks and How did the Interviewer respond? and other things

personally, i dont think 3 W's are that bad, but what happened that youre failing 3 classes in 1 semester??? dropping 1 every other semester for 6 semesters is one thing, but dropping what i have to assume is basically most of your classes is another. just my opinion. i say tough it out and pull those grades up to a b-/b (you still have finals and possibly another midterm and papers).