ohdangevo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
i'm dropping 3 courses this semester - how bad does it look on the admissions committee for medical school?

Cheerfulgrrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
ohdangevo said:
i'm dropping 3 courses this semester - how bad does it look on the admissions committee for medical school?
As long as you can explain it (either in your primary, secondary or interview) with a clear, good reason, you'll be fine. I had more than 3 and got into several schools. Also, it does not get included in your AMCAS gpa.

Keep on keepin' on - you'll make it!

OP
O

ohdangevo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
what excuses did you use? i'm afraid the adcom will not feel sorry for you, and will think of it as an excuse , my real excuse is risk of getting C's , i will not tell them that. what should i do?

OP
O

ohdangevo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
2tall said:
TAKE THE Cs LIKE A MAN!!!! or WOMAN!!! whichever the case may be.
but it will get affected into your overall GPA Though?

don't you need a good overall gpa and a good science gpa?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Unless you have a really good reason, wont adcoms be a bit suspicious about you dropping 3 classes? Tough call, but I'd say take the C's and if you must, take some extra classes to raise the GPA up

Cheerfulgrrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
ohdangevo said:
what excuses did you use? i'm afraid the adcom will not feel sorry for you, and will think of it as an excuse , my real excuse is risk of getting C's , i will not tell them that. what should i do?
Umm, I think that is exactly my point, I assumed that you had something (family emergency, illness, other event) happen, like I did. I don't think I can help you. It never even crossed my mind that you would withdraw from 3 classes for grade reasons.

You might consider taking incompletes, if that is possible. I know you are probably too stressed right now to think about this, but I think you should consider why you are getting 3 Cs in the first place. And, what can you change so that you will succeed in the future.

OP
O

ohdangevo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Cheerfulgrrl said:
Umm, I think that is exactly my point, I assumed that you had something (family emergency, illness, other event) happen, like I did. I don't think I can help you. It never even crossed my mind that you would withdraw from 3 classes for grade reasons.

You might consider taking incompletes, if that is possible. I know you are probably too stressed right now to think about this, but I think you should consider why you are getting 3 Cs in the first place. And, what can you change so that you will succeed in the future.

Which part of yoru application to medical school did you explain your W's ? Did the interviewer ask you about that? How did you respond? Can you please fill me in on details, thanks and How did the Interviewer respond? and other things

ktsou

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status
personally, i dont think 3 W's are that bad, but what happened that youre failing 3 classes in 1 semester??? dropping 1 every other semester for 6 semesters is one thing, but dropping what i have to assume is basically most of your classes is another. just my opinion. i say tough it out and pull those grades up to a b-/b (you still have finals and possibly another midterm and papers).