How bad are C+/B- in intro bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugleddie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a junior at columbia univ (bio major). I have 3.67 overall GPA with 3.63 science. My mcat is 34 = 10(V), 12(biological), 12 (physical). I have a couple research experiences at columbia medical center (2 yrs and 1yr) with good LOR and average clinical experiences. My only concern is my grade in intro bio class. I got B- first semester and C+ second semester. As a bio major, I have taken genetics (A), physiology (A), neurobio (B+). All the rest of my premed classes are ~3.7-3.8.

My questions are:

1) "how will my intro bio grades affect my chances of getting invited/accepted to top 20 medical schools?" I know that anything below B is generally a red flag and I have two of them from the same class. But i have taken other advanced bio classes with much better grades. What do you think?

AND

2) should I apply after my senior year to raise my science/overall gpa with more advanced bio classes to mask my intro bio grade or should I give a shot in 08 cycle? I want to get into one of top 20-30 medical schools. I hear it's not good to apply in consequent years so I want to be careful.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)

well, i got a c in intro bio and got an interview at a top 20 school, so you'll at least get to meet with someone during the application process. as for getting in, i wouldn't know...

Forget about them, the rest of your application looks great, and not to mention that your MCAT is superb. Plus, a B- isn't anything to cry about, ok? Neither is ONE "C". For the love of god, do not put off your application another year because you have one C.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i got a c in intro bio and got an interview at a top 20 school, so you'll at least get to meet with someone during the application process. as for getting in, i wouldn't know...

If you don't mind, may I ask your mcat, GPAs, where you were invited and where you got accepted to?

Man...my stats are almost just like yours, except that I got a C+ and C in Bio I and II, respectively. A's and B's in everything else, though. I hope these two C's aren't going to kick my ass later...

I just want to know how you manage to get all As and Bs and a great BIO MCAT score and get a C in the class.

Probably because I never adapted to the style of the bio exam for the into bio professor. Columbia bio class is monopoly taught by one professor who gives As to only 10% of the class filled with smart columbia kids and post-bacs who are extremely motivated to get As while taking basic science. When I came out of the class at teh end of the semester, I had much better understanding of biological science. MCAT bio was a lot easier; MCAT bio is also a lot more straight forward than the intro bio class where the application of research protocols and concepts was more emphasized than MCAT. Also, I never took bio class after my ninth grade so it took me a very long time to understand materials, not to mention 20 credit course with 20 hrs of lab per week.

Probably because I never adapted to the style of the bio exam for the into bio professor. Columbia bio class is monopoly taught by one professor who gives As to only 10% of the class filled with smart columbia kids and post-bacs who are extremely motivated to get As while taking basic science. When I came out of the class at teh end of the semester, I had much better understanding of biological science. MCAT bio was a lot easier; MCAT bio is also a lot more straight forward than the intro bio class where the application of research protocols and concepts was more emphasized than MCAT. Also, I never took bio class after my ninth grade so it took me a very long time to understand materials, not to mention 20 credit course with 20 hrs of lab per week.

You should have foreseen that you would have had trouble with the class since you hadn't had it in 4+ years. But since you've taken the other upper level courses I would say it's not even a problem at all. There aren't any guarantees that you will get in even if you had a 3.8 and 36. So I know you will get in somewhere and probably a great year. Just don't think that you should apply to only the top schools. Good luck!

I got into a top 20 with 2 C's...both in chem (gen chem and upper division inorganic chem)...with the rest of your application i dont think you have anything to worry about...you can attribute it to adjusting to college since it was in your first year

I got into a top 20 with 2 C's...both in chem (gen chem and upper division inorganic chem)...with the rest of your application i dont think you have anything to worry about...you can attribute it to adjusting to college since it was in your first year

maybe i ask your mcat/breakdown, gpa and the quality of your research/volunteering/ec? thanks

As long as you get Bs and As in harder and more important courses, you will be fine. If I were you I would take Physical Chemistry, or some Quantum Physics course and get an A on those to show the committee that you can handle tough courses.

As long as you get Bs and As in harder and more important courses, you will be fine. If I were you I would take Physical Chemistry, or some Quantum Physics course and get an A on those to show the committee that you can handle tough courses.

But he doesn't have to do that! He's already taken upper level bio and done well in it, and he's done well in all the other subjects! Sorry for the exclamation points for I feel the OP really needs to relax, his application looks great and he comes from a good undergrad. You guys are making it sound like a C+ is going to ruin everything and he should find the cure for cancer to make up for it. Stop it.

maybe i ask your mcat/breakdown, gpa and the quality of your research/volunteering/ec? thanks

my gpa was on the low side of 3.5 but my EC's honestly were really really good including 2 pubs and honors thesis....i also went to the Honors Premedical Academy at Baylor college of medicine my freshman year...and TA'd etc...also my LOR were really really good as I was told by all my interviewers...my mcat was a solid 32R ps10 vr10 bio12...

Ah....dear Professor M. But for the record, the undergrads set the curve, not the postbaccs (because the undergrads actually *petitioned* to have the postbaccs separated out), and the curve only helps and doesn't hurt. And while her exams are evil, she just uses a point system to assign grades that's published from the beginning of the semester, and anyone who meets the cut off will get an A. The class is tough, but fair...

But OP, I think you'll probably be fine. Columbia's intro bio class is infamously tough, and that's pretty well known even to med school adcoms (e.g. several schools even count the class for fulfilling a biochem requirement).

You're fine.....It seems every semester we get a few of these panic type messages. Your gpa is above average, and your mcat as way above average. I WISH a C+/B- were the lowest of my grades...you'll be going somewhere, so don't worry and go have a beer or something.

Hi,

I am a junior at columbia univ (bio major). I have 3.67 overall GPA with 3.63 science. My mcat is 34 = 10(V), 12(biological), 12 (physical). I have a couple research experiences at columbia medical center (2 yrs and 1yr) with good LORs (including columbia P&S professor = my research mentor) and average clinical experiences. My only concern is my grade in intro bio class. I got B- first semester and C+ second semester. As a bio major, I have taken genetics (A), physiology (A), neurobio (B+). For the rest of premed classes I have GPA of ~3.7-3.8 (Orgo, all the labs, gen chem, physics).

My questions are:

1) "how will my intro bio grades affect my chances of getting invited/accepted to top 20 medical schools (Columbia P&S and Cornell being my first choices) given that all the rest of my app is good?" I know that anything below B is generally a red flag and I have two of them from the same class. But i have taken other advanced bio classes with much better grades. What do you think?

AND

2) should I apply after my senior year to raise my science/overall gpa with more advanced bio classes to mask my intro bio grade or should I give a shot in 08 cycle? I want to get into one of top 20-30 medical schools. I hear it's not good to apply in consequent years so I want to be careful.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)

Don't hold off your app. Apply early.

However, do you mean by "I have two of them from the same class" as in you took intro bio, made a C and retook and made another C?

Because that would definitely be a red flag, and more than just a fluke, even regardless of your good grades in other advanced courses. Adcoms don't like it when you bomb and then rebomb a course...

But he doesn't have to do that! He's already taken upper level bio and done well in it, and he's done well in all the other subjects! Sorry for the exclamation points for I feel the OP really needs to relax, his application looks great and he comes from a good undergrad. You guys are making it sound like a C+ is going to ruin everything and he should find the cure for cancer to make up for it. Stop it.

Couldn't have said it better myself!