How bad are these scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzar90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I want to apply this coming cycle and i'm just wondering if i have a chance of getting into dental school with these scores. I live in Florida so hopefully I can get either into NOVA or UF but i don't mind leaving the state if I have to. LECOM is also here but not sure how good that school is?

My GPA is 3.45 and science GPA 3.28 so not too good there. My DAT score is a 21 with no score lower than 20. I have about 110 shadowing hours and i'm still shadowing and quite a bit of EC.

If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a nice shot at Nova and Lecom. UF will be more difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a nice shot at Nova and Lecom. UF will be more difficult.
Hey thanks for the help. I have a question that I can't seem to find. Does being born in another country and being on the lowside of income help at all getting into dental school or do schools not really care about that? I'm from Colombia btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the help. I have a question that I can't seem to find. Does being born in another country and being on the lowside of income help at all getting into dental school or do schools not really care about that?
If you talk about it in your personal statement and relate it to your goal of becoming a dentist, sure it does. Being international by itself doesn't really help you. I'd also recommend to apply to more than the 3 schools in Florida. I'd apply to at least 10.

Reactions: 1 user
If you talk about it in your personal statement and relate it to your goal of becoming a dentist, sure it does. Being international by itself doesn't really help you. I'd also recommend to apply to more than the 3 schools in Florida. I'd apply to at least 10.
Cool, any recommendations on schools you think I should apply to?

Not sure if you're an international student or a current citizen..but from what I've noticed, being an international student really doesn't help your chances

Cool, any recommendations on schools you think I should apply to?
Your stats aren't bad; they are near the averages for accepted students actually. Research the schools you are interested in applying to in order to see the in-state/out of state ratio, GPA averages, etc. I really only know about schools in the NE and it seems like you want to stay near Florida haha

Not sure if you're an international student or a current citizen..but from what I've noticed, being an international student really doesn't help your chances
I'm a citizen, I was just born and lived outside the U.S for 11 years.

Your stats aren't bad; they are near the averages for accepted students actually. Research the schools you are interested in applying to in order to see the in-state/out of state ratio, GPA averages, etc. I really only know about schools in the NE and it seems like you want to stay near Florida haha
Lol yeah I understand, thanks a lot for the help btw.

You have a great shot for NSU and LECOM. Apply broadly and early!

As others have said, your GPA and DAT scores are definitely competitive enough and you should have a good shot of landing interviews at some schools you're applying to.

Reactions: 1 users