How bad does it look if you complete undergrad in 5 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gl4di4tor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew how Ad Coms look at an applicant who completed his undergrad degree in 5 rather than 4 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Gl4di4tor said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew how Ad Coms look at an applicant who completed his undergrad degree in 5 rather than 4 years?

I thought most people completed it in 5 years now? most people when they enter college don't know what they want to do right away.

Gl4di4tor said:

Why would that look bad? You are looking way too far into things. Grades grades grades grades, then DAT DAT DAT, that is 90% of your initial application, once you get an interview because you had good grades/DAT, then not being a shmuck and selling yourself is the rest. Thats it

Members don't see this ad :)
Lidopaine82 said:
I thought most people completed it in 5 years now? most people when they enter college don't know what they want to do right away.
really, do you know of anyone who got into dental school after 5 years of Undergrad?

Gl4di4tor said:
really, do you know of anyone who got into dental school after 5 years of Undergrad?

yea, ... me

Lidopaine82 said:
yea, ... me
Oh cool. I ask because I was part-tiime 2 semester and that kinda of set me back, I can either make up for it with another year or so in undergrad or I can take alot of classes during the summer and winter sessions, but I risk a lower grade.

Gl4di4tor said:
Oh cool. I ask because I was part-tiime 2 semester and that kinda of set me back, I can either make up for it with another year or so in undergrad or I can take alot of classes during the summer and winter sessions, but I risk a lower grade.

you don't have to wait till you have your degree to apply. just as long as you have the pre-reqs done then apply while you work towards it. plus, although your chances will be lower, you could get accepted without a BS like i did.

Lidopaine82 said:
you don't have to wait till you have your degree to apply. just as long as you have the pre-reqs done then apply while you work towards it. plus, although your chances will be lower, you could get accepted without a BS like i did.

SO, ALL THE PREREQS must be completed by the time you apply? Wow, I'm finding so much inconsistency between users advice!

bluejellybelly said:
SO, ALL THE PREREQS must be completed by the time you apply? Wow, I'm finding so much inconsistency between users advice!
Well then you should rely more on yourself and what the professionals say, not online strangers. You do not have to have all the prereqs done prior to applying, but they need to be done before entering d school. I still have to finish physics 1 and 2 this summer, no biggie.

Also, who cares if it took you 6 years to complete undergrad? no one is going to ask you why it took so long if you got a 3.7+ gpa. They will never bring it up, very silly thing to worry about. You need to worry more about getting a bomb DAT score.

JohnUNLV said:
Also, who cares if it took you 6 years to complete undergrad? no one is going to ask you why it took so long if you got a 3.7+ gpa. They will never bring it up, very silly thing to worry about. You need to worry more about getting a bomb DAT score.

actually yea they will... theres a difference between finishing 6 years with a 3.7 and 180 credits...then its another to finish in six years with only the minimum (for a degree) 120 credits, the former shows that uve kept a steady 15 credits per semester average, the later shows that u were only taking 10 credits a semester, ie too weak of a workload to be taken seriously in the eyes of adcoms

i was planning on taking 12 credits this summer which would mean i would only need 12-13 per semester for the remainder of college to finish in time, called the admissions offices at umich and uop and each one said they would advise against it and just spread those 12 credits up within the school year to show my ability to balance a large workload, ie 15-18 credits a semester

There's nothing wrong with finishing your degree in 5 years, especially if you have obligations such as work.

I ONLY negative I could see is them questioning whether you could handle the "heavy" dental school workload.

there's nothing wrong with 5 years....as long as you didn't randomly slack off and stay home one year in between because you felt like it. And even then. getting your feet back together..its not a crime.....I have a friend who fell sick for 2 years, and then switched schools to be closer to home ....it took him almost 7 but he is in med school.....relax

bluejellybelly said:

what JohnUNLV said is correct. all the prereqs need to be completed before you matriculate, not apply. I start at Case Aug 7th and im currently finishing up my last pre-req(Ochem lab 2). If you want to know how to apply to dental school then read their web site. that is what i did. I didn't even know this site existed till after i got in.

i took 5 years....mostly because i had to make up for my gpa though..i took bunch of extra classes

I graduated from high school in 1996 and I'll graduate from college in April of 2006. I know it's pretty freakin' sad, but I had stuff to do. Like bum around in Hawaii and Mexico, and travel to Brazil and stuff. Sure it took me ten years to get a degree, but I've got a lot of cool stories to tell. I think you'll be fine gettin' done in 5.

Most schools require so many core classes that it takes atleast 5 yrs.....unless you know exactly what you want a degree in, and from day 1 take all classes needed.

Some semesters a class may not be offered and/or you get 6-7 W's(in 4-5 years) and that can set you back a year. Not to mention if you change your major after taking 3-4 classes. Add to this the dental pre-reqs for those non-science majors and 6 yrs may be reasonable.

I took 5 and a this year I didn't even go to school, just worked and it turned out ok for me. Just get the grades, the DAT, experience etc. and you'll be fine g money!