How bad is 1 bad semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far Im only in my first semester of undergrad but i didnt quite realize, how easy it is to lose points on a 4.0 scale so far im at midterm time and my science Gpa is lookin 2.6 ish but overall im at 3.14 how bad is this "bad" semester as far as being ready for dental school admissions,because i ve been accepted into a pre-dental program so i am hoping to go for dental school after my junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

1 or 2 subpar semesters won't ruin your shot at dental school... just work hard to improve and do very well on your DATs (I would aim for a 20+). You still have a long way to go and more than enough time to improve your GPA - just don't give up and keep working hard.

I graduated from ASU with a degree in nursing and now I'm taking my pre-reqs for dental school. I've taken gen chem 1 from a community college and need gen chem 2 and want to transfer to a university to fulfill the rest of the requirements (still need physics, biochem, organic chem). An advisor at ASU said I can take all of my pre-reqs without having to actually get another degree- I would be a non-degree seeking student- just taking the dental school pre-reqs only. Has anyone been in this position? I'm not sure if I should do that or get a new degree altogether. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a pre-med student at my university who is a non-degree seeking student (got a degree from a different school). They're doing pretty well with it. I think you should stay as non-degree seeking, only completing the courses that are necessary and taking a few grad courses if you can. You do have a degree already :)

for example, the student i know takes their gen chems while taking immunology and virology grad classes.

I wouldn't know what dental schools would prefer though??

how bad is one? my answer: not as bad as two! just pull your stuff together to do the best you can this semester and then hit the books hard next semester to show you just needed a semester to "get used to college". It happens to a lot of people. As long as you aren't failling your prereq's and you do well in the futuer you will be FINE!!! good luck

One is not that bad but if its your first one what makes you think it will improve so much?

A lot of people, myself included, have had a bad semester and will probably be going to dental school. All of the interviews I have been on so far have pretty much told me they could care less about a bad semester during your freshman year and they wouldn't have invited me for an interview if it was a concern. However, if you are in some type of early acceptance program I think you might end up getting kicked out. But if you keep having bad semesters you may wanna rethink your career path.