how bad is a "W" on a transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamjaXnamjA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im taking "advanced writing" class and its my last english class that is required, but the teacher is really weird, we do lots of useless art projects and i'm not learning anything out of it, for example, i have to make something that relates to geology and we are going to display our projects at a local children's museum.. wtf?.. i still have no idea what i'm going to do for it and its due this friday... The problem is, there is so much work to do that its interfering with my other classes and even with my social life. I hate it and always dread going to that class, the drop deadline already passed so if i drop now i will get a W, if i have only 1 W in my transcript, how bad will it look?

Members don't see this ad.

dear potato, is it really tough to see what everyone else is doing and do something similar? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
W's aren't that bad. I have quite a few, and some interviewers never even asked about them. Just have a reasonable explanation for it, and it seems like you do.

It's not a good idea; if you ever get a W, it won't exclude you from interviews BUT you better have a good explanation for why it happened (eg: wife/mom was extremely sick, etc...). The reason you provided would not hold up very well in an interview for medical school. You will leave the interviewer wondering how in the world, if you dropped a class because it was boring and interfered with your personal life, how you could ever survive medical school. There are many classes in med school that are boring and interfere with personal lives - that is the essence of medical school.

My advice, put in the work, tough it out and it will be over before you know it. We ALL have our own stories about awful classes we had to suffer through...

There is no explanation needed for a W. Everyone knows that you either did not know the subject you were gettting into or were failing miserably at it and were afraid of taking a hit on your GPA. Let's be real here.

My advice, put in the work, tough it out and it will be over before you know it. We ALL have our own stories about awful classes we had to suffer through...

+1

It's not a good idea; if you ever get a W, it won't exclude you from interviews BUT you better have a good explanation for why it happened (eg: wife/mom was extremely sick, etc...). The reason you provided would not hold up very well in an interview for medical school. You will leave the interviewer wondering how in the world, if you dropped a class because it was boring and interfered with your personal life, how you could ever survive medical school. There are many classes in med school that are boring and interfere with personal lives - that is the essence of medical school.

One W has absolutely no bearing on your admissions. If one makes it a habit, however, that is a different story. It is MUCH better to get a W than a C or lower.