How bad is a "W" on your transcript ? Is it better or worse than a "B"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedburger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi eveyone. I am new to this board but I have a question.

I took physics this past semester as a night class but could not finish the semester because my job demanded that I change my hours. I had an A in the class with a month left in the semester but I withdrew from the class to appease my employer. I could have probably skipped the rest of the classes and showed up for the final and maybe got a B in the class but I was told it was better to have one "W" on your transcript than a "B". I dont really know the truth about that I just knew I had to keep my job so I took a "Withdrawl" in the class. Do you guys think I did the right thing or wrong thing ? How are "W"s considered in the application process ?

Members don't see this ad.

a W is significantly more damaging than a B. a B is a good grade. a W will be a red flag and require you to explain it to med schools when you apply. definitely stay away from the Ws if you can.

Generally speaking, W's aren't good. However, since you withdrew for a pretty decent reason and were doing well at the time of withdrawel, you'll be fine. Might want to explain the reason on your AMCAS or secondaries, though. B's are fine to get-- probably won't help you nor will they hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt a W is that damaging. However, if you have a good reason you are fine. I had to withdraw from a class for health reasons and I had no problems.

I had two dubyas on my transcript, both for physical science classes... 1 my first semester, and one my last semester... I also had a B or two... and was never asked about either of these in an interview (had 4 so far) so i'd say that as long as there arent too many of either on your transcript, your gonna be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of interview invites here, with a W. You're fine if it's just 1, maybe even 2.

If you can explain it off well, you're probably fine.. and if you can't, I doubt it's really going to hurt you. I ended up with one because some jackass wouldn't let me retake a midterm despite the fact that I'd gotten out of the hospital from major surgery right before it, and I failed it miserably. Being 50% of the grade, I dropped it. My pre-med advisor mentioned that it probably won't be a big deal, and if it is, I obviously had a pretty good reason. As long as you can make your excuse sound reasonable, I'd say you're probably alright :) Good luck!

I think a W is definitely worse than a B. BUT a W is much better than a d or an F.

I think a W is definitely worse than a B. BUT a W is much better than a d or an F.

I had a few W's, I don't think it's a big deal. Sometimes you just don't like a class. But don't drop out just because you might get a B! That's crazy.

USArmyDoc said:
I highly doubt a W is that damaging. However, if you have a good reason you are fine. I had to withdraw from a class for health reasons and I had no problems.

It really depends on what class you have a W in, and for what reason you withdrew. Your excuse sounds good enough. They will ask you during the interview if they are curious about your W. I don't think a lone W would get you rejected so stay put.

FYI, I have a W in a class called "Foreign Policy of China." Like they would care? :laugh: I withdrew after 1 week but it was during my freshmen year and I did'nt even know about getting Ws in transcripts.

does this W stand for geroge w. bush.. because now if it is... it is a whoooooooooooooooollllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee nother story..

confusedburger said:
Hi eveyone. I am new to this board but I have a question.

I took physics this past semester as a night class but could not finish the semester because my job demanded that I change my hours. I had an A in the class with a month left in the semester but I withdrew from the class to appease my employer. I could have probably skipped the rest of the classes and showed up for the final and maybe got a B in the class but I was told it was better to have one "W" on your transcript than a "B". I dont really know the truth about that I just knew I had to keep my job so I took a "Withdrawl" in the class. Do you guys think I did the right thing or wrong thing ? How are "W"s considered in the application process ?

If someone told you that you can't get into medical school with a B, then they should be shot.

Not only can you get into medical school with a majority of courses being B's, but you can get into medical school with multiple C's.

A W is the equivalent of a D or F, because you obviously couldn't cut it in the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
A W is the equivalent of a D or F, because you obviously couldn't cut it in the course.

You are leaving yourself wide open for flames here, be careful. I know several people who have W's on their transcripts and got in, and in 2 years, I'll let you know myself if someone can get in with a W on their transcript.

I actually have 2, but I also was undergoing aggressive cancer treatment that semester. I guess I just couldn't hack it in the course. Oh, but I later retook them and got A's.

:thumbdown:

I've got a W in ochem 1, along with a C in bio, C+ in stats (didn't deserve it, lol) and a C in physical chemistry (def. deserved it). I have yet to be asked about any of these "red flags" at interviews...

Don't sweat it, I actually have one to. Mine is because admissions messed up and said that I needed a class that I actually didn't, so of course I dropped it. You've got a good reason, so sleep well!!

I wanted to avoid a B-/+ pile up from taking three science classes at the same time, so I dropped on with a W. I retook it later and got an A-. I've gotten interviews from 3 of the top 10 schools and acceptance at one. If you gotta drop, drop. It won't affect your GPA. Retake it and show them you can do it.

The question was that if W is worse than a B. Yes, it is. The dean of Univ. of Maryland stated that he'll have a hard time believing anyone's story attached to a W on his/her transcript. He further stated that a B is definitely OK so far as it's not a regular pattern on your transcript.

But as previous posts state, u should be fine with 1 followed by good grades.

Oh please guys. I had 5 Ws, with no really great excuses. Noone ever asked about them, and I have been offered 7 interviews so far, and I've gotten into a great MSTP in NYC already. Ws are not equivalent to Fs, gimme a break. I got Ws becuz I registered for a couple of courses and then changed my mind. The rest of them came from just deciding to take a few courses later, which I eventually did. In fact, I've been asked about a couple of Bs I've gotten, rather than about the Ws.

I think it comes down to what your grades look like overall. I have good grades, so to say that I dropped because I couldn't hack it is ridiculous. So I think they will give you the benefit of the doubt if you have good grades all around. Of course, if you don't it will look suspicious. Otherwise, don't worry about it, just have a understandable reason just in case they do ask.

i have 4 W's, 1 D, and PLENTY of Cs on my transcript. I have had 6 interviews and not a single one asked me about any of them. I currently have an acceptance at a good school in CA and am still waiting the results on the others.

so in conclusion, dont sweat it.

(though i will admit that i was expecting them to interrogate me about them. Sadly I really have no excuse except that I played way too much in undergrad)

in regards to apps, one or two w's won't hurt, especially if you have a valid reason such as yours. the last interview i had asked for an explanation if you had more than 2. so as of now, no sweat. just don't make it a trend :p

MrSosa said:
Oh please guys. I had 5 Ws, with no really great excuses. Noone ever asked about them, and I have been offered 7 interviews so far, and I've gotten into a great MSTP in NYC already. Ws are not equivalent to Fs, gimme a break. I got Ws becuz I registered for a couple of courses and then changed my mind. The rest of them came from just deciding to take a few courses later, which I eventually did. In fact, I've been asked about a couple of Bs I've gotten, rather than about the Ws.

I think it comes down to what your grades look like overall. I have good grades, so to say that I dropped because I couldn't hack it is ridiculous. So I think they will give you the benefit of the doubt if you have good grades all around. Of course, if you don't it will look suspicious. Otherwise, don't worry about it, just have a understandable reason just in case they do ask.

:thumbup:

OSUdoc08 said:
If someone told you that you can't get into medical school with a B, then they should be shot.

Not only can you get into medical school with a majority of courses being B's, but you can get into medical school with multiple C's.

A W is the equivalent of a D or F, because you obviously couldn't cut it in the course.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely wrong! I have a W on my transcript and it was in a computer science class. My reasons for withdrawing were totally due to health reasons and absolutely NOTHING to do with me not being able to cut it.

Gentle said:
The question was that if W is worse than a B. Yes, it is. The dean of Univ. of Maryland stated that he'll have a hard time believing anyone's story attached to a W on his/her transcript. He further stated that a B is definitely OK so far as it's not a regular pattern on your transcript.

That dean can go shove it. As I have previously stated, my reasons were due to a life changing health incident. If anyone wants to sit and argue that with me, including ANY dean, I will be MORE than happy to. :mad:

Sorry this hit a nerve.

Oh my gosh, a regular pattern of B's on a transcript? :eek: How terrible!

USArmyDoc said:
OSUdoc08 said:

A W is the equivalent of a D or F, because you obviously couldn't cut it in the course.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely wrong! I have a W on my transcript and it was in a computer science class. My reasons for withdrawing were totally due to health reasons and absolutely NOTHING to do with me not being able to cut it.

You couldn't cut it because of your health.

The reason you couldn't cut it is irrelevant, because your transcript doesn't indicate why you had to drop out.

OSUdoc08 said:
USArmyDoc said:
You couldn't cut it because of your health.

The reason you couldn't cut it is irrelevant, because your transcript doesn't indicate why you had to drop out.

Okay, if you want to look at it like that. I took it this semester and received an A. So I can cut it scholastically.

USArmyDoc said:
OSUdoc08 said:
Okay, if you want to look at it like that. I took it this semester and received an A. So I can cut it scholastically.

Good. It still doesn't explain the W on your transcript. You have to wait until your interview to explain it.

OSUdoc08 said:
USArmyDoc said:
Good. It still doesn't explain the W on your transcript. You have to wait until your interview to explain it.

You're right. Out of all my DO interviews, I havn't been asked once about it. I have been accepted to all four. I have my first MD coming up soon so I'll let you know how that pans out.

OSUdoc08 said:
USArmyDoc said:

Oh, in that case, my personal statement will definitely address my having cancer, and it's effects (good and bad). I'm sure adcoms are smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. If not, I don't think 2 W's are going to hold me back from getting interviews when the rest of my grades are fine.

If a W was equal to a D or F, then it would count against you in your GPA. It doesn't. But, unfortunately, unless you do address it in someway in your application, there is no way for an adcom to know your reasons.

Yes, there might be a question (or maybe not) if you have one or two, but for the most part, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm going to be meeting with a few admissions people from the various schools I'm interested in to see what they think about my chances for admission at their school before I apply. I'll be sure to ask about W's and let you all know which schools don't think it's a death sentence.

For those of you with W's on your transcript - if you retook the class and did well, you could cut it. Don't let OSUdoc's remarks irritate you that much. I think he does it to get you going.

I took a W for physics 2 b/c I was not going to get an A (due to lack of studying) and at the time I was taking 18 hours (including 2 labs) over the summer. I retook it the next semester and got an A. Only one person has asked me about it and I got accepted to that school.

My advisor told me if you drop a class and get an A in the next time you take it, they wont care that you dropped it - but you may be asked to explain why you dropped it. AND I doubt dropping a class that you later get an A in will keep you from interviewing/being accepted at any school.

Like someone else said, a W is not factored into your science GPA and a B is - depending on how many science classes you have, this could make a big difference.

Furthermore, Deans/Adcom say a lot of things. A dean from one school told me they don't like it when students take pre-reqs at a CC and I know someone who did this and was accepted right away by this same school.

I also heard Med Schools don't like you to take pre-reqs over the summer (has to do with course load) and I am sure there are plenty of people who have been interviewed/accepted who took pre-reqs over the summer.

I have a W on my transcript, and so far no one has even asked about it. And I guess the acceptances mean that it did not hinder my application that badly.

However on that note, I would still take a B instead of a W. I think that it becomes a problem when you have multiple withdrawals.

Ashanti Rock said:
I have a W on my transcript, and so far no one has even asked about it. And I guess the acceptances mean that it did not hinder my application that badly.

However on that note, I would still take a B instead of a W. I think that it becomes a problem when you have multiple withdrawals.

Exactly! :thumbup:

Gentle said:

This simply is not true. I can't imagine those words coming out of Dean Mickey Foxwell's mouth. As an undergrad student, I had two withdrawn SEMESTERS and a few sprinkled in other semesters and I surely had more than my fair share of B's. Looks like I got in and I was a student interviewer for UM SOM admissions and then some. ;)

A W is not the end of the world. Would your transcipt appear better without it and a B in its place - most likely.

OSUdoc08 said:

Not True

Megboo said:
You are leaving yourself wide open for flames here, be careful. I know several people who have W's on their transcripts and got in, and in 2 years, I'll let you know myself if someone can get in with a W on their transcript.

I actually have 2, but I also was undergoing aggressive cancer treatment that semester. I guess I just couldn't hack it in the course. Oh, but I later retook them and got A's.

I agree with Megboo. No need to be rude.

I too have a W on my transcript. No biggie. And it shouldn't be a biggie for anyone else. Particularly if they had the good reason to drop in the first place and especially if it isn't a repeat occurrence on their record(s).

OP,
Don't worry too much about it. If you're doing well now, just make sure you note the discrepency in your app and keep up the good work!

I had a W for a lab and it didn't hurt my application. It depends on how high your GPA and MCAT are. If they're both high, then I think the W doesn't matter that much. However, if your numbers are low, then it looks like you dropped it because you were struggling. Anyway, take it again, proceed with your life, and be ready to explain it if requested. It's done now, so just make the best of it.

Up until recently, I just didn't have my act together regarding school. I was a depressed, anxious, hyperactive (ADHD) person through all of my twenties. In fact, I didn't even know I wanted to be a doctor until recently, either.

The long and short of it is, I had Ws on my record for every single semester. I have a handful of Ws nearly every semester until the last 2. I have had more Ws in my lifetime than completed classes.

I've definitely turned things around, but only *recently* at the old age :laugh: of 31 (last year) did I start doing this. I have about 5 Fs too, but they're largely ancient, my GPA overall is good, I still have room to bring my GPA up more, one was repeated, one more is going to get repeated next semester, and one shouldn't even be on my record at all (administrative error; it's a class I only showed up at once, and dropped, but the school messed up the records). I know that Fs are problematic, but I didn't know about Ws. If everyone's worried over one W, I am most DEFINITELY screwed.

I don't really know what to say about the Ws other than "I ****ed up".

A W is NOT the equivalent of a D or an F. Schools can designate, much of the time, if you are withdrawing while passing, or withdrawing while failing. W's happen for a lot of reasons. I have one on my transcript, and I had an interview at a school I thought was really good and i didn't even get asked about it. It happens. YOu can always explain it on AMCAS when they ask for add'l information (they DO have tha ton amcas right ,its been a year...)
or at an interview, but really, if you've taken the class again and done well, its not a big deal. I have 3 W's on my transcript two in dance classes and what the heck does that matter? Actually, one school asked, curiously what happened. TWo words: hip injury. Who's gonna argue? just don't do it again and dont' worry :)

OSUdoc08 said:

To me, a B is NOT CUTTING IT!

In case you forgot, a W DOES NOT get factored into your GPA.

Kleintje said:

don't know if this was supposed to be a joke or not, but it certainly gave me a good laugh :laugh:

jbrice1639 said:
don't know if this was supposed to be a joke or not, but it certainly gave me a good laugh :laugh:

It was ... glad I could make someone laugh! :)

Megboo said:
For those of you with W's on your transcript - if you retook the class and did well, you could cut it. Don't let OSUdoc's remarks irritate you that much. I think he does it to get you going.

There's no way I could make up every W, and do all my other premed stuff, and make it to med school before I'm 80.

The saving grace is that I was not taking *any* math/science classes that whole time, so now that I've started that, I get to have a clean slate with all the prereqs. I hope that means something.

i did the dual enrollment thing at my comm college (where you go to high school and college at the same time), and i had never heard of Ws.

i registered for my first semester, but i was unable to go due to lack of transportation, so i didn't go. then someone calls me from the school asking why i didn't attend and that now i have 3 or 4 W's on my transcripts. so i called my counselor, explained my situation (and the fact i didn't know you get W's), and he said he'd take care of it. but he didn't, so i still have those Ws on my transcripts. i retook those same classes the next semester and got A's, and i continued to get A's.

i'm sure it's not a big deal, but that really annoys me. no one had told me anything. and now, the first thing you see on my transcripts are all those W's.

thirdunity said:
There's no way I could make up every W, and do all my other premed stuff, and make it to med school before I'm 80.

The saving grace is that I was not taking *any* math/science classes that whole time, so now that I've started that, I get to have a clean slate with all the prereqs. I hope that means something.

The only way to find out is to apply. Or meet with the school before you apply to get their stance on W's. Personally, I think it's not a big issue if you have good reason for it. Your case is definitely different.

:luck:

Kleintje said:

In case you forgot, a W DOES NOT get factored into your GPA.

get a life

I think the reason why we are arguing here over the nature of a W is because we all perceive differently as to what is med school.

Some of us are looking into exceptional med schools such as Harvard, Duke, Wash U and hates anything under an A and ofcourse in their mind, getting into a medical school with a B is farfetched especially if you're competing against those whom probably do have straight A's.

Then there are those whom are more down to earth and are looking into the rest of the medical schools where the average gpa is around a 3.5-3.6 and this is attainable only with a few B's sprinkled throughout the transcript. So to those, not getting into medical school because you have a B is absurb.

W's however will mar some application more than others. It again depends on what medical schools you are looking into. Mayo Clinic will look at a W differently then a DO school or a lower ranked school. Some schools put less emphasis on some aspects of the transcript. I think it's all relative.

i had 2 of them and made it to med school. just don't make a habit of them.