How bad is it to back out an accepted offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyapple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate in May and now got an offer from a chain in an undesired area. I interviewed with the three big chains and other companies. Either no offer, or worse offer than this one, which made me nervous.
However, I have always seen job openings posted on indeed.com in my local area. Maybe it's easier to get a job after I have my license.
Ok, now the problem is: how bad is it to back out the accepted offer if I have a better offer later?
I will feel very bad to do that. But the two pharmacists in my rotation sites both said they backed out Target offer after they got the job here. One didn't work for Target one day even after she finished the training. It seems like not a big deal to them.
I feel it's unethical, but it's really hard to foresee the future 7, 8 months from now.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about the chains. Put yourself first. If you have a better offer, grab it and don't look back.

That's kind of what I feel. I remember the first day Riteaid DM came to our school and he said: this year we only need 250 grads, but we gave out 500 offers because we know some of them will go to residency, some will accept another offer. It seems like it's a norm, though not ethical.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really look at the ads on indeed.com, you'll figure out pretty quickly that some of them are the same job listed 10 or 20 times.

Reactions: 1 user
so why is that? what I don't understand is I always see some chains post on indeed.com about openings in my area, but when you ask them about those area, they will say we have lots of people line up for this area, we only want to recruit you to fill less desired area.

so why is that? what I don't understand is I always see some chains post on indeed.com about openings in my area, but when you ask them about those area, they will say we have lots of people line up for this area, we only want to recruit you to fill less desired area.

Legally big companies have to post these openings even though they have already hired someone.

Reactions: 1 user
One didn't work for Target one day even after she finished the training. It seems like not a big deal to them.

That depends on the internal notation of the record. I heard another pharmacist got blacklisted for doing such move (not at Target pharmacy.)

I am a 2015 graduate and I got offered a position with Target. But I am really leaning toward moving out-of-state to Florida to be with my finance after graduation. I thought I could stay in state then transfer a little while later, but the other threads I read said it could take up to 2 years to be able to transfer. I don't know what to do as I have already accepted the verbal offer. Would they be able to put in a good word for me at a Florida target if I let them know my intention of moving out-of-state or do I have to interview all over in Florida? I want to work for Target but I feel like if I back out now they will blacklist me from obtaining a position with their company again. But I also can't start off a marriage in separate states!! I never expected to get an offer so soon, so I didn't know what to do. I accepted before I could get all the information I wanted. HELP, please!

I feel it's unethical, but it's really hard to foresee the future 7, 8 months from now.

It's not unethical, its "at-will" employment (which is common in most states.) Your employer can fire you at any time, for any (legally non-discriminatory) reason, including rescinding a job offer. Likewise, you can quit at any time, without notice. Generally the protocol, if you want to ever be considered for rehiring is 2 - 4 weeks notice. If you haven't started work yet, there is no need to give a notice. If you have started work, even if still in your training period, I would give a 2 - 4 week notice (your employer may tell you never mind and make your quit notice immediate, but you've done your part by giving them an option. It's always possible a company may mark you "do not rehire", so if think there is any possibility you might want to work for them in the future, its best to avoid burning bridges and give a 2 -4 week notice.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a similar position. I was offered a position by a large chain last week, who gave me 30 days to accept or reject their offer. However, I am still waiting for a response from a hospital, which may take longer than the 30 days I have to decide on the chain's officer. Should I accept the offer now and begin their training, in risk of time running out, and then just backing out of it if I do get hired by the hospital?

you'd be stupid to back out of a job without having one in hand first. something about 1 in the hand, better than 5000 indeed postings on the internet