How bad is it to correct yourself in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaper834

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'm probably being too neurotic about this, but I really like the school and have been worrying about this. The interviewer asked me if I see myself using my undergrad courses in medical school. At first I replied by saying I didn't expect to use too much of it, but the challenges of the courses may have prepared me in some way and that I didn't expect to use a course like physics. The interviewer was then like oh you'll actually use physics in _____. Then I went back to correct myself and said well I expect to use the basics from these courses and use them as a foundation, but that medical school courses will be a lot more challenging. Did I completely mess this question up?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with correcting yourself if you feel you misspoke. Based on the scenario I don't think it was necessary, but I don't think its something to obsess over. The best response would likely have been "ah, that's good to know."

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm probably being too neurotic about this, but I really like the school and have been worrying about this. The interviewer asked me if I see myself using my undergrad courses in medical school. At first I replied by saying I didn't expect to use too much of it, but the challenges of the courses may have prepared me in some way and that I didn't expect to use a course like physics. The interviewer was then like oh you'll actually use physics in _____. Then I went back to correct myself and said well I expect to use the basics from these courses and use them as a foundation, but that medical school courses will be a lot more challenging. Did I completely mess this question up?
This is impossible to answer without having been there to listen to you.

What's done is done. Move on to the next one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is impossible to answer without having been there to listen to you.

What's done is done. Move on to the next one.

You're right. I have a lot of free time now and can't stop thinking about the one or two questions I messed up/could have said better in my interviews!

It doesn't matter. This is something minor and can be chalked up to a difference in perspective. It's different from, say, claiming to have volunteered somewhere but then when asked about it, not being able to say anything about it. That's lying.

Reactions: 1 users