how bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awh112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first off thanks for taking the time to look over this thread, I know there are many similar to it. I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. I am a transfer student, I went out of state for my first year of college. It was pretty far away and I did pretty badly (1.46) mostly due to laziness and poor transition to the college style of life. I am now closer to home, and for my first semester here it looks like I will be getting C's and B's. My question is, how hard is it going to be to get past that first semester of college? I know it's going to be a little daunting, but I'm hoping that its do-able. If anyone has any suggestions or any insight, please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do your earnest to get as many A's as humanly possible from this point on. I've read of people having horrible freshman grades and turning it around, but they certainly buckled down and started focusing. You need to absolutely be vigilant about getting high scores now, get a good upward trend going and you should be okay. I want to breathe hope into your situation, but a 1.46 is just wow. I suppose, you can do it if you really have the utmost passion to do it. Stop screwing around, time to pay your dues as a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bs and Cs will not be good enough. Psych yourself up to think About getting As. Everytime you do not get an A in a class, you delay the recovery of your GPA. Figure out what you're doing wrong, and fix it. Maybe an academic counselor can help. Set up a meeting.

Was it one semester or one YEAR you went out of state and got that GPA?

If that was a whole year with roughly 30 credits bringing that GPA, then you face a very daunting road indeed. If you get a 2.5 this semester, that will only bring you up to a 1.8. From there, you would need two YEARS (60 credits) of straight A's (no B or C slip-ups) just to get your GPA over the 3.0 threshold, which is generally considered the bare minimum threshold to apply and have any shot at any allopathic or osteopathic school. But in reality, the repair would likely go even more slowly, as I imagine you have a few D's in some pre-reqs that you need to go back and re-take, which will slow your rehab.

I don't say this to make you think this rehab project is impossible or to get you to give up hope, I just want you to realize the enormity of the uphill battle you're facing. You can do this if it's what you really want, but it's going to require a total commitment from here on out; you no longer have any room for mistakes.

Like the above stated, earn all As from now on, especially in pre-reqs. Also, go back and re-take some of your poorly preformed pre-reqs.

You may also want to consider doing a post-bacc program or continue to a graduate program to strengthen your application. Recovering from a 1.46 and become competitive in the medical school market will surely take time. Another thing to consider, and don't take this in an offensive manner, if you seriously cannot perform well in the lower level science courses please consider alternative student and carreer paths. These lower level courses are only precursors to the highly advanced and fast paced courses in medical school.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

It's not that I can't do well in science courses, just that I was lazy and not willing to do well in my classes. Now that I am closer to home I'm a bit more determined and getting involved with research, shadowing physicians, and volunteer activities.

It's not that I can't do well in science courses, just that I was lazy and not willing to do well in my classes. Now that I am closer to home I'm a bit more determined and getting involved with research, shadowing physicians, and volunteer activities.

You have to ask yourself if you really want it. Lazy is not an excuse. A's from now on is about all you could afford to bring that GPA back up.

Don't get over-involved or distracted by extra-curriculars and fail in your primary objective of getting straight As. The most wonderful experiences imaginable will never be noticed if your GPA is too low to exceed the screening cut-offs of a med school.