How bad is my AUA in-service exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three months into my pre-Urology year (doing General Surgery), I had to sit for my AUA inservice exam. I scored 30%. So, how bad was it, really?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Just show that you're making progress. Next year, study for the exam. Do some of the SASP from the AUA to get ready for the types of questions they ask. By your chief year you want to be above the 50th percentile. It's a good feeling coming into the qualifying exam after residency if you know that you sit above 1/2 the candidates as of the prior November.

Actually I scored the 100TH PERCENTILE among Pre-Urology residents. My "total" was 30% correct, but among Pre-Urology, I scored the 100th percentile!!! Was just informed by the chief resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to rain on your parade, but a 30% correct raw score isn't that great when by randomly guessing a letter, a through e, you could get 20%. I would say that your 100%tile is likely due to the few numbers of pre urology residents taking the test.

This isn't to say that you're not smart or won't do well on future in service exams. And I honestly hope that next year you will post that your are still in the 99th to 100th percentile of year one uro residents. But, don't be surprised if your peers "catch up". I think I started in the 80-90th percentile as a year one resident (which was essentially 3 months on the uro services) and that percentile slowly went down over the years despite my raw score improving.

Actually I scored the 100TH PERCENTILE among Pre-Urology residents. My "total" was 30% correct, but among Pre-Urology, I scored the 100th percentile!!! Was just informed by the chief resident.

Something sounds wrong. I scored similarly and was below the 50th percentile. But cookies for you!