How bad is the job market in your area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, top 10% in the US is like $100k, but in SF and one other county just to the south of it, $105,350 is considered low income for a family of 4.
Let that one sink in for a minute.
(HUD 2017 threshold)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The good thing is that the people who have created the crap political environment / system in California are being priced out of their own state by the policies they've created.

The bad thing is that California is now exporting its citizens to other states and Californian borne gentrification & segregation is rampant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
On one level, I think I'm comparing pharmacy's job market to those of other healthcare professions, which are all still in much better shape than pharmacy's. Also, even though it is a good point that most other real-world jobs don't have utopian job markets that are as good as the circa-2005 pharmacy market, I think that the majority of other professions' job markets are at least better off than pharmacy's. I think the fallacy is sort of similar to trying to insist that the lawyer job market is now just a "normal" job market in a similar state to most other professions', when in reality their job market really is objectively in bad shape.

You clearly haven't spent 10 minutes reading through the other forums on here. It sucks everywhere, even medical.

Median household income in the US is $56k. $120k puts you in the top 10% at least.
Well most Pharmacists come out of school close to 200k debt, then for some reason they want to marry a pharmacist so thats close to 400k. Then when you think about taxes, 401k, and other bills 120k a year ain't worth bragging about. After taxes thats what? 70-75k? Last year I pocketed 130k after taxes and felt it wasn't enough lol When you have a solid foundation and loans are wiped out then its pretty good. Until then having 2k a month on loans (most of you live off the loan forgiveness) can be a big hit if you have a family. I'm with the pay loans off asap group. This career can be rewarding once debt free. Especially if you're the type to pick up shifts here and there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, top 10% in the US is like $100k, but in SF and one other county just to the south of it, $105,350 is considered low income for a family of 4.

(HUD 2017 threshold)

When parking is $19.99/30 min I believe it lol

The good thing is that the people who have created the crap political environment / system in California are being priced out of their own state by the policies they've created.

The bad thing is that California is now exporting its citizens to other states and Californian borne gentrification & segregation is rampant.

Those damn Howard Jarvis tax conservatives started this whole mess with Prop 13

Reactions: 1 users
Shocking PA's facts were wrong. I've read them so many times I believe them.

The fact that he knows a few (he even emphasized this part) pharmacy school grads who managed to find jobs instantly invalidates everything I've been told by DMs, DOPs, practicing pharmacists, as well as the various studies that have been been conducted to assess the job market? Yeah, okay, that makes sense. Honestly, the more I read the drivel people have to say on these forums, the less surprised I am that that the pharmacy "profession" has gotten itself into such a dire situation.

You mean a family can't live on $120k/year?

Yeah you can, but you have to take into account living expenses. If you are a pharmacist family that's great and all, but if one gets laid off, the other has to pick up the slack financially. It's not a TEOTWAWKI situation, there needs to be an adjustment of spending no doubt. But in this job market, the longer the partner goes without work, the harder it can get. There are other factors too: mortgage payments (adjustable or fixed rate), or if you don't own, what rents are like. School fees for children, health insurance, car notes (assuming you don't own), do you have family members willing to help with child care? I mean, the list can go on and on. I sure as hell not gonna list every thing to take into account. Suppose the retail spouse goes from full-time to per-diem? What happens next? Nothing is guaranteed. Many older pharmacists got a very rude awakening with the 2008 housing crisis. Many saw their savings/pensions slashed. Many had to delay retirement.

So yeah, 120K is very good living, but you have to take into account other factors.

(HUD 2017 threshold)

NYC is exponentially worse. I have to find the article, but to live decently in NYC, you need an income of at least $400K. Inflation has gone through the roof with regards to housing prices and rents. Peoples salaries can't keep pace with inflation. Now imagine you throw children into the equation? Even having 1 kid can cause a significant dent in your $$$$. I am talking about living in the 4 boroughs (Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Staten Island). Manhattan is a different beast altogether. You need an income of at least 1.5M or higher to live real good in Manhattan (downtown/midtown). Harlem is probably the only affordable option left, but b/c of gentrification, those prices have spiked too.

The pharmacists I know all live in the 4 outer boroughs.

NYC is exponentially worse. I have to find the article, but to live decently in NYC, you need an income of at least $400K. Inflation has gone through the roof with regards to housing prices and rents. Peoples salaries can't keep pace with inflation. Now imagine you throw children into the equation? Even having 1 kid can cause a significant dent in your $$$$. I am talking about living in the 4 boroughs (Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Staten Island). Manhattan is a different beast altogether. You need an income of at least 1.5M or higher to live real good in Manhattan (downtown/midtown). Harlem is probably the only affordable option left, but b/c of gentrification, those prices have spiked too.

The pharmacists I know all live in the 4 outer boroughs.

(
Play this in the background when reading this post.

)

But you live in NYC, it's reward enough.

To another poster, no, I don't live at either of the Coasts by personal preference (nothing against the West Coast except I come from AZ, I hate the East Coast). But, this forum pretty much reflects pharmacy demographics with the exception that I don't know too many who are Texan besides @CetiAlphaFive.

Something about CA for its unusual market. The people who gave a damn made it a point to raise the entry requirements into the state. It was intentionally created to be the hardest state in the country to license in, and CA is the most demanding in terms of having the right credentials. In return, it pays the best, and you get live in CA! People forget that while I live in a place where $120k is the 2%, you still live in flyover country in a place where the interesting people do not live (although I have to claim that the most physically attractive people in the country live in this same city and many of them are transplanted to other cities to be in sales).

Livelihood means different things to different people. If you're going to be the boring, consumption suburbia type, then sure, basically many places in the US work just fine. But there is no substitute for the SF Fogbank, the liveliness of NYC, the power trip that is the District, or the weirdness of the two Portlands (both OR and ME have residents who pride themselves on how quirky they are). If you want to live a particular way, then it's more the city than anything that draws you.

In terms of the market, bad reputation pharmacists aren't getting jobs like in 2005. That's good. However, I know quite a number of women (> 30 women) who temporarily left the profession to raise young children who can't get back even in part-time in the market. It's not yet to the point where good pharmacists cannot get any job, but it is at the point where I feel that most newly trained residents and new grads are underemployed either through a role that didn't need the training and does not necessarily promote to a requisite role, or that it is not a real full-time position (30 hours plus pickups is the norm here now). For experienced pharmacists, hospitals in my area are either ignoring them for new residents or opting to offer permanent positions to their current per diem. So, it's not pharmacists at McDonald's, but there are not good deals right now.

The only growth field that I see right now is supervision (so Operations Manager and Director of Pharmacy), and both are quite difficult jobs to find good people for.

Yeah, if you're an excellent pharmacist, there are jobs aplenty and there are good jobs still being offered (I still get unsolicited offers to join various outfits for my field), but it's much harder for a new pharmacist to break in. I'm advising any student intern to sacrifice their perfect grades to passing if it means that they work enough outside to develop enough contacts for a job to be waiting for them in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Most of my friends are employed part time. None of them ever found a full time job after graduating two years ago...one with a residency had to move from New York after two years ( literally no jobs in NYC) to Midwest to work in some hospital center.

Where the hell does this site get its statistics from? ND has been a hard place to find a job for years. PA especially at the NJ border is near impossible to find work.

Oh, it's "expert" panels. Trust us "leaders of the profession", right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where the hell does this site get its statistics from? ND has been a hard place to find a job for years. PA especially at the NJ border is near impossible to find work.

Oh, it's "expert" panels. Trust us "leaders of the profession", right?

A month ago, the PDI stats for many states were in 2.0-2.99 range (indicating saturation in those states), but it seems like after lots of people publicly made note of that, the numbers for pretty much all states reverted to what they were a few months ago. More proof that it's just propaganda for the AACP

It took me 6 months post-grad to find a full time job and I got 3 state licenses. Did land full time in a large metro area though so I'm lucky.

NY/NJ/PA/CT = the job market is at Hunger Games level of crazy. The only way you land a good gig is if you have excellent connections. Like, you are best friends with directors type of connections. I graduated in 2013 and one of my classmates who has a Masters in science became a pharmacy director 2 years out of school. Turns out he was chummy with one of the professors who was also a pharmacy director at couple of hospitals before. Another classmate landed a job at Big Pharma after interning there during APPE. Found out she took another per diem gig at a hospital. She tried that whole "I don't want to lose my clinical knowledge" schtick with me, until I spoke to a nurse at the same pharma company. The nurse told me what drug safety associates really make. I was like yeah, screw clinical knowledge, your ass needed more $$$$$ to pay your bills. Last I heard, this same classmate was going back to school to get her MBA (so she could climb the corporate ladder at Pharma).

Looking back, I wish I kept in better contact with more classmates to see how they are faring as I see some are flat-out lying on LinkedIn/Facebook (I have little birds that whisper in my ear from time to time). But from what I was able to glean off of social media, most have landed in retail but they live in the rural areas. The ones in the major city that I know of, they catching pure hell right now and can't leave.

Most of the hospital positions are per-diem. That sucks.

Do you know anything about upstate new york market?

Upstate NY as in Albany or even farther north?

Okay, I feel like I just read a thread of hot garbage.
"Can I live on 120k"? You're goddamn right you can! Let's not forget teachers with families live on $40k.

Excuse me-- if you bought a Bugatti right out of school and had 9 kids, then you may have mild difficulty living better than most Americans on your pharmacist salary lol.

Yes, the job market is saturated, but it sounds like the people with major difficulty are in California or somewhere on the east coast.
What about everywhere else? What continually growing Phoenix? Colorado?

Also, everyone here whines about retail so damn much. Hey, here's $120,000 now deal with the occasional upset patient, give some vaccinations, and give candy to your techs. Yeah you have to meet metrics, but it seems like a relatively easy job compared to hospital.

Please someone tell me what I'm missing here.

Reactions: 4 users
"Can I live on 120k"? You're goddamn right you can! Let's not forget teachers with families live on $40k.

Excuse me-- if you bought a Bugatti right out of school and had 9 kids, then you may have mild difficulty living better than most Americans on your pharmacist salary lol.

Yes, the job market is saturated, but it sounds like the people with major difficulty are in California or somewhere on the east coast.

Also, everyone here whines about retail so damn much. Hey, here's $120,000 now deal with the occasional upset patient, give some vaccinations, and give candy to your techs. Yeah you have to meet metrics, but it seems like a relatively easy job compared to hospital.

Are you a student or a working pharmacist?

I'm a pharmacy intern in retail 2nd year student. Obviously I don't know every aspect of what a pharmacist does yet, but I literally work right next to them. They're generally happy people who seem satisfied with their career.

That's why everyone is leaving the high-paying, easy-to-get hospital jobs and trying to bust into retail for mere rice and beans.
I think your sarcasm may go over some people's heads.

I suppose my comparison of retail to hospital isn't quite fair. There's just 2 types of people. One who despises the pressure of
-patients complaining and insurance rejections.
-And the other, who despises sending meds up to Little Jimmy in the ICU STAT, and if you miscalculate a ML in his IV bag, he dies.

Through my schooling so far, I think I fit in the group of despising the latter, and so retail sounds A-Okay with me.

I suppose my comparison of retail to hospital isn't quite fair. There's just 2 types of people. One who despises the pressure of
-patients complaining and insurance rejections.
-And the other, who despises sending meds up to Little Jimmy in the ICU STAT, and if you miscalculate a ML in his IV bag, he dies.

Through my schooling so far, I think I fit in the group of despising the latter, and so retail sounds A-Okay with me.

And there's the third type that thinks about how to get productive work out of you all and scam the profits for themselves, while nodding and pretending to listen to the complaints about those two no-win situations, while thinking about whether hookers or blow or both are going to be bought with this Friday's bonus check bought with your tears. There are a few in this forum who are in that third category. If you are thinking about the system, you're a part of it.

You're missing the non-pecuniary benefits. I would trade my guaranteed $165k civil service desk job that pensions in four years for a guaranteed job at the Economist for $40k a year. You travel the world on the company's dime, write anonymous pieces when you feel like it, and end the job when you pick up that NYT wedding's spouse. It's better than having to read report after report about pharmacists and physicians who I can't do anything about because they can't be fired or even disciplined which the entire exercise is a meaningless waste of time (someone pressured me into spending a week taking this job as we are too far behind).

Teachers get:
1. Low education and low barriers to entry
2. A job that is NOT only union, but has specific legal protections against discipline
3. A schedule that allows for children and summers (and for year-round, still more time off than the average person)
4. Intellectually and emotionally rewarding if you want it to be
5. Can choose the circumstances of their work environment (pharmacists cannot besides the occupation, you don't control when scripts come in).

Pharmacists get:
1. Money...

I'm not saying that the market is efficient, but higher paying jobs, there's a reason for it even within a profession because you just can't get people to do productive work any other way. Teachers in the public city systems are paid usually between 1.5-4X private school teachers, but even with that, the results are still marginal. If money is what has to be offered to get the right person in the door, then usually everything else has been tried as money is the one tangible that a business really doesn't want to part with. It's not in an employer's interest to give you more money when they can get away with granting you perks.

And sometimes those perks mean something too. Yeah, I do complain about my pay in the civil service as it is lower than my peers, but I'm not accountable in the normal sense to anyone, I have a guaranteed job, and the work (besides these details) is pretty lighthearted and simple where I can spend most of my time reading at work which I would have done anyway. $120k, could be far more than what it's worth to some, but to others, no way no how if they have to put up with the stuff we do.

And yes, $120k (or $165k for that matter) wouldn't ever get me to work at where I interned at ever again. I'm way past the 3rd and Hell stage of my career.

As an aside, you should the browse anesthesiology forum for a comparison on how the other half lives. There are higher stakes for the type of work (piecework) that we do. I'm sorry, but if I were them, I'm not going to deal with 4-1 or 5-1 patient ratios as they're talking about to maintain salary parity with the past. I think 3-1 is kind of a bunch of work where it's not those easy times, but the few disasters that 3-1 makes life very, very difficult. They can keep their higher pay, although they "do" less than we do, what they are responsible for is a bigger problem, but when things go wrong...It's about choices and what is needed for the market to be considered productive that counts.

Last edited:
And there's the third type that thinks about how to get productive work out of you all and scam the profits for themselves, while nodding and pretending to listen to the complaints about those two no-win situations, while thinking about whether hookers or blow or both are going to be bought with this Friday's bonus check bought with your tears. There are a few in this forum who are in that third category. If you are thinking about the system, you're a part of it.
I am a part of the system -- at least for now. I'm not ashamed of having to work a 9-5 for a corporation. Do I plan on working as a pharmacist until I need a walker? No. It's a career that pays well enough, and will allow me to use my funds over the next few decades to build my own capital (real estate, etc.) until I can eventually work for myself.
I agree with you that the third type is better off. But so what? Some people get payed $15 million to catch a ball. Is that right? No. Does it mean I value my career any less? No.

I am a part of the system -- at least for now. I'm not ashamed of having to work a 9-5 for a corporation. Do I plan on working as a pharmacist until I need a walker? No. It's a career that pays well enough, and will allow me to use my funds over the next few decades to build my own capital (real estate, etc.) until I can eventually work for myself.
I agree with you that the third type is better off. But so what? Some people get payed $15 million to catch a ball. Is that right? No. Does it mean I value my career any less? No.

There are health care jobs that are in this category that you can work toward. You can be the system, you don't need to beat it.

You're missing the non-pecuniary benefits. I would trade my guaranteed $165k civil service desk job that pensions in four years for a guaranteed job at the Economist for $40k a year. You travel the world on the company's dime, write anonymous pieces when you feel like it, and end the job when you pick up that NYT wedding's spouse. It's better than having to read report after report about pharmacists and physicians who I can't do anything about because they can't be fired or even disciplined which the entire exercise is a meaningless waste of time (someone pressured me into spending a week taking this job as we are too far behind).

Teachers get:
1. Low education and low barriers to entry
2. A job that is NOT only union, but has specific legal protections against discipline
3. A schedule that allows for children and summers (and for year-round, still more time off than the average person)
4. Intellectually and emotionally rewarding if you want it to be
5. Can choose the circumstances of their work environment (pharmacists cannot besides the occupation, you don't control when scripts come in).

Pharmacists get:
1. Money...

I'm not saying that the market is efficient, but higher paying jobs, there's a reason for it even within a profession because you just can't get people to do productive work any other way. Teachers in the public city systems are paid usually between 1.5-4X private school teachers, but even with that, the results are still marginal. If money is what has to be offered to get the right person in the door, then usually everything else has been tried as money is the one tangible that a business really doesn't want to part with. It's not in an employer's interest to give you more money when they can get away with granting you perks.

And sometimes those perks mean something too. Yeah, I do complain about my pay in the civil service as it is lower than my peers, but I'm not accountable in the normal sense to anyone, I have a guaranteed job, and the work (besides these details) is pretty lighthearted and simple where I can spend most of my time reading at work which I would have done anyway. $120k, could be far more than what it's worth to some, but to others, no way no how if they have to put up with the stuff we do.

And yes, $120k (or $165k for that matter) wouldn't ever get me to work at where I interned at ever again. I'm way past the 3rd and Hell stage of my career.

As an aside, you should the browse anesthesiology forum for a comparison on how the other half lives. There are higher stakes for the type of work (piecework) that we do. I'm sorry, but if I were them, I'm not going to deal with 4-1 or 5-1 patient ratios as they're talking about to maintain salary parity with the past. I think 3-1 is kind of a bunch of work where it's not those easy times, but the few disasters that 3-1 makes life very, very difficult. They can keep their higher pay, although they "do" less than we do, what they are responsible for is a bigger problem, but when things go wrong...It's about choices and what is needed for the market to be considered productive that counts.
I understand your point. And money surely isn't everything when considering a career, especially of the medical variety. I for one, think that anesthesiology is too high stakes for an easy going person like myself. Some people are the opposite, and should be paid well for their dedication to the intensity of the field.

However, your response assumes that pharmacy has no other value than money. Learning drug mechanisms, pharmacy calculations, patient consultations, leading a team-- that all seems rewarding to me. Now, that doesn't consider the horrible scheduling and lack of summers off... and the massive loan debt. And so by no means is it a perfect field, and one surely shouldn't do it forever.

My SO is a middle school teacher, and aside from the reasons of self greed, I believe teachers should be paid much more, and potentially require more schooling. It'll be a great way to weed out the people who do it as a job, and don't care for the students. And maybe then, they would get the respect they deserve.

There are health care jobs that are in this category that you can work toward. You can be the system, you don't need to beat it.
What jobs are these? And if they exist, I'm sure it's next to impossible to obtain, otherwise everyone would be "the system". Plus, at this point in my life, I'm perfectly fine drowning my sorrows in ethanol. No hookers or blow needed. Ask me again when I graduate.

Lol I think most of the people on this thread are:
-Retail
-Older w/ significant others that they can't move from
-Big city or saturated city people
-People who are inpatient who are underpaid (our RPhs even staff inpatient or staff clinical inpatient are paid 120-130K+ starting)
-People who don't realize that yes you might have to start from outside in a smaller city or rural; but you can still build and then take the next steps. You just need to plan and know how to really save money. You need a foundation first before you say, oh I want a job in a big city. Because most likely it will not happen. Then they complain, and theyre the ones shooting themselves in the foot. ....(and thus giving a bad rep to the profession)

Come on guys lol

I love the inpatient side, but I also love the outpatient side. So I can do both; but I opted to go the route that I knew would work best in competing against other people. It's called smart planning; and thinking years ahead of time.

I still don't understand this whole concept of retail paying more than inpatient.

It's like I read it, I comprehend it, I've seen numbers, but I just don't understand it.

Ok I'll shut up now.

Do you know anything about upstate new york market?

Albany has their own pharmacy school. They have a remote campus in vermont. I have a friend who graduated from the vermont campus and 95% of the students came from various parts of NYS.

D'Youville is in Buffalo. Not sure if they have a remote campus.

John Fisher is in Rochester.

SUNY Buffalo has a pharmacy school.

SUNY Binghamton opened up one recently.

These are the upstate schools off the top of my head. I listed them to give you an idea how crowded the upstate region is gonna get (if it hasn't already). I heard that there's some wiggle room in the upstate region but you have to know the right people (DOP, Managers, DMs). if you don't have anyone of those in your network, you are pretty much screwed.

I still don't understand this whole concept of retail paying more than inpatient.

It's like I read it, I comprehend it, I've seen numbers, but I just don't understand it.

Ok I'll shut up now.

Retail makes money, Hospital saves money; I guess.

Albany has their own pharmacy school. They have a remote campus in vermont. I have a friend who graduated from the vermont campus and 95% of the students came from various parts of NYS.

D'Youville is in Buffalo. Not sure if they have a remote campus.

John Fisher is in Rochester.

SUNY Buffalo has a pharmacy school.

SUNY Binghamton opened up one recently.

These are the upstate schools off the top of my head. I listed them to give you an idea how crowded the upstate region is gonna get (if it hasn't already). I heard that there's some wiggle room in the upstate region but you have to know the right people (DOP, Managers, DMs). if you don't have anyone of those in your network, you are pretty much screwed.

Wow, didn't know that many schools opended up since i moved. I know family friend who graduated in 2010 from LIU works in cvs there. i gotta call him to get more info on market there. Thank you though!

Gladly.
1. You're not a pharmacist
2. You've never verified RXs at a blazing pace, knowing that you are risking your license and your livelihood with each and every one. If you don't keep up, you lose your job. If you screw up, you lose your license.
3. You have virtually no choice in any of this because the market conditions favor the abuse of pharmacists
4. You have no leverage as you gain experience because it doesn't add value, just cost
5. I've worked both, and retail is without a doubt harder.

Reactions: 8 users
Gladly.
2. You've never verified RXs at a blazing pace, knowing that you are risking your license and your livelihood with each and every one. If you don't keep up, you lose your job. If you screw up, you lose your license.
3. You have virtually no choice in any of this because the market conditions favor the abuse of pharmacists
4. You have no leverage as you gain experience because it doesn't add value, just cost
I doubt that things will ever change in a long time. Decades

Gladly.
Thank you for an honest response. Are you still working in retail? If not, would you mind describing how things are different at hospital? Because ultimately, you're right. I'm not a pharmacist; but I would like to hear experiences from one.

Anyone on here in the Virginia/DC area? I am one of those grads from 2005 who walked into a job straight after my degree was handed to me. After working in retail for 12 years, I got a rude awakening when I got married and moved to this new area where I am of course going through the stress of finding a job....I'm open to everything, but of course that doesn't help. Would love to hear from any of you if you got any advice if you're familiar with this area :(

Gladly.

Excellent post. Sums up being a chain rph. Whatever you do for a chain is never enough.

Excellent post. Sums up being a chain rph. Whatever you do for a chain is never enough.

Too many pharmacists stop at that realization. Take it one step further and realize if you can't please corporate no matter what then the only answer is to do your 8 hours and the bare minimum to keep your job. Fake the metrics if you have to, the only thing that truly matters is if you're getting medications out there safely.

Don't do it. Only a fool would spend the time, money, and effort to get a degree to enter a profession where the prospect of getting a job depends on so much more than having the degree/qualification in and of itself of being a pharmacist.

:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

Yes, and there were people telling you the same thing when you were considering pharmacy school. Why did you completely ignore them and enter pharmacy school? Why do you think todays prospective pharmacy students are any different than you were back then?

The very students you saw arguing against the facts are the very same students who go into the field knowing they will be screwed over in the future and still go for it, then come back later on the forums to ask if anyone found a job or to ask if anyone knows anyone else that can connect them with others. It's harsh and facts obviously do not lie.

Yup, we already have that happening. Posting history can be quite interesting.

Pharmacy is quickly becoming The Art History Degree of Healthcare.

Pharmacy is a LOOOONG way away from being equivalent to an art history degree. Seriously.

You mean a family can't live on $120k/year?

They can, the problem is loans. Too many people take out a huge mortgage, car loans, enroll their children in private schools.....all of this based on a $240,000/yr income. When that income is cut in half, it takes time and a lot of work to downgrade living experiences (first, find someone to buy their house and hopefully they don't end up underwater, then find a cheaper house/apt to move into, then pay all the moving expenses, second, sell their cars and most certainly take a big loss on it, and then have enough left over to buy a used car, not to mention the time it takes to find a suitable used car, 3rd depending on the private school contract they might not just be able to immediately pull their children out....not to mention all the headaches and school issues involved with changing schools in the middle of the year.) So I completely sympathize with what the OP is saying, if someone's income is suddenly cut in half, that is not an easy adjustment to make.

But you live in NYC, it's reward enough.

Some would call it punishment, but you know to-ma-toe, to-mah-toe

Can you prove me wrong with personal experiences perhaps?

I have considerable experience working both, and they are both difficult jobs. Both jobs require high intellectual engagement to keep from killing a patient. There are differences, multitasking in retail involves dealing with multiple patient issues at the same time, and hospital multitasking involves more big picture keeping all of the diagnoses and health issues in mind at the same time for any prescription.....but a pharmacist in either area must do both. Now, of course, there are outliers, the independent pharmacy that does 40 scripts a day, the rural 20 bed hospital....if someones retail or hospital experience is limited to that, then its easy to think that all of retail or all of hospital is that easy. But most retail and most hospitals aren't like that. Not to mention one's co-workers, co-workers have a huge part in how easy or rough a job seems.

Thank you for an honest response. Are you still working in retail? If not, would you mind describing how things are different at hospital? Because ultimately, you're right. I'm not a pharmacist; but I would like to hear experiences from one.
Sure. I'm no longer working in retail, but recently enough that my I feel my experience is still applicable. I made the transition to inpatient pharmacy about 2 years ago. Before that, I worked for a big chain at several stores that most retail Rph's would consider medium-high volume. The hospital I transitioned to is a large university medical center, I guess you could consider it the retail equivalent of "high-volume". I say this to illustrate another posters point that not all "retail" gigs and "hospital" gigs are the same, but my experience is with the bigger, busier variety.

Comparing the two, I would say the main difference for me were the types of stress. In retail, days frequently involved mental, physical and emotional stress all bound together. Most of these due to the fact that you can't take a 5min breather for coffee if its been a rough day, and are frequently deprived of food and bathroom breaks. Add the long hours of standing on top of that and it can start to suck the life out of you pretty quick. The only stress I endure at my current position is mostly mental due to complex problems/time constraints of STAT orders. But without the physical aspect of skipping meals and bathroom breaks, it pails in comparison. I would say I have one "stressful" shift about every 2 months. When considering quality of life between the two, ponder this question for a second. Would you rather have daily interactions with pharmacists, nurses and physicians? Or pharmacy technicians, clerks and MAs? Easy choice for me.

I'm not saying you should base your career off any of the above cause different people value different things. I understand your original point about retail pharmacist seeming to have a cake job because I remember feeling the same way as an intern. I was gung-ho sold on doing retail and I got a pretty rude awakening. I assumed everyone who bitched about it was just lazy, but the kicker is that hard work gets you nowhere. Just a higher bar, challenge stores, ****ty partners because "you can handle it" and you're their pawn. Of course there's the management route if you can survive long enough to get there.

On one level, I think I'm comparing pharmacy's job market to those of other healthcare professions, which are all still in much better shape than pharmacy's. Also, even though it is a good point that most other real-world jobs don't have utopian job markets that are as good as the circa-2005 pharmacy market, I think that the majority of other professions' job markets are at least better off than pharmacy's. I think the fallacy is sort of similar to trying to insist that the lawyer job market is now just a "normal" job market in a similar state to most other professions', when in reality their job market really is objectively in bad shape.

Most MDs have to go wherever they happen to match into a competitive residency. Even their job options aren't as cushy as you seem to expect. Most of my MD friends have to move across the country, bust their butts for 4 years or more in residency, work where they can and MAYBE work their way back into their desired city years later.

My chemical engineering friends also had to move cross country, work oftentimes in tiny towns overseeing oil wells or general exploration, travel overseas for months at a time, etc. You seem to have an unrealistic view on how the job market works for most people.

I'm not saying the pharmacist job market is good or not a reason for concern. However, people have a skewed view on it bc 10-15 years ago pharmacists benefitted from an almost unheard of dearth of supply vs company demand. You aren't guaranteed 4 offers in your exact geographic area anymore if you have no connections, haven't distinguished yourself beyond passing with minimal competency and simply have a pulse anymore.

Welcome to the real world for 95% of the work force, including other healthcare and engineering fields. You don't deserve a dream job straight out of graduation just because you're clutching a paper that says PharmD on it.

I can respect people veering from pharmacy and being cautious about recommending the field to others (I do this often), but Christ, man. You haunt the pharm board and spam the same thing over and over. I thought you were leaving pharmacy anyway.

What are you still doing here? You've never even worked in the field and experienced the pharmacist job market first hand.

Reactions: 17 users
:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

Yes, and there were people telling you the same thing when you were considering pharmacy school. Why did you completely ignore them and enter pharmacy school? Why do you think todays prospective pharmacy students are any different than you were back then?

Look at the bright side. I only wasted a year of time/money in pharmacy school, and it was a good opportunity to raise my GPA. I would've spent the last year taking classes at a local university anyways. I think the experience has been good for me, because now that that I have had a glimpse of how bad my future would've been in pharmacy (and seeing how close I came to making that future my reality), I am much more appreciative of what careers such as AA/CRNA have to offer and have more motivation than I've ever had before to succeed in AA school. I think it took witnessing just how hard some people work/will work for such a lousy ROI to make me realize what a tremendous opportunity it will be to return to AA school, regardless of where I have to go. Hopefully other pre-pharms will realize they're making a mistake before they even start pharmacy school.

On a related note to this thread, check out the link below. There is literally only a handful of pharmacist positions open in the entire state of GA for CVS, and almost all of them are in BFE locations and a single ghetto Atlanta store (only the first 2 pages have pharmacist job listings):

Search our Job Opportunities at CVS Health

You know the job market sucks when even CVS is getting saturated. Enjoy!

Last edited: