how bad is this trend anyway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beth_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated. I am just wondering what I should do next. I know what to do next but I want to know how other people think

the ugliest GPA trend:

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Beth_yu
I have graduated. I am just wondering what I should do next. I know what to do next but I want to know how other people think

the ugliest GPA trend:

I wouldn't do anything. I don't think you have to make any excuses with this trend. If you have one or two particular classes that brought your GPA down, like the time you got a 3.00 or 3.02, maybe mention some sort of hardship briefly, without complaining, and let the adcom know what you learned from the experience. (That is, if you're applying to medical school, which I am assuming since you've posted here.)

It's all about the cumulative, buddy. It that's high, you're ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
To make it clearer. I include the credit hours. Thanks ixitixl

the ugliest GPA trend:

3.89 (18)
3.86 (17)
3.37 (18)
3.04 (20)
3.00 (15)
3.38 (20)
3.02 (21)
3.80 (21)
3.61 (21)
3.04 (27)
4.00 (23)
4.00 (23)

the ugliest GPA trend:

not bad at all...not bad at all...

your cumgpa seems relatively high....

trends only tend to matter for people who start off low low and then get their ass in gear and work hard.....

outside of that you have lots of good semesters...some average ones....(i wish i had those grades tho)

so its all good.

nothing to lose sleep over.

You're doomed. Don't even apply. You do not stand a chance in hell.

I'm not about to do the math, but it looks like a 3.5 or so? Am I close? If so, you're in ok shape!

I had a lower GPA soph year, but freshman and junior years were great. They balance out :)

Yeah, I'm looking at your cumulative. It's pretty high and you have the added benefit of finishing off with a perfect GPA. If you have a decent MCAT score, I doubt that your GPA will be an issue. If you do have a few ugly grades (and I'm talking C+ and below) you might want to prepare something to tell the adcom during an interview. Otherwise I wouldn't stress over it. I have a much lower GPA and things are going quite well for me.

I'm confused. Are those quarter grades? Were you in school for six years?

Holy **** ! Who ever allowed you to take 27 hours in a semester? God bless you, that sounds horrible. I'm glad you survived in one piece.

ATPase:
Your username brings back horrible biochem nightmares. I just wanted to let you know.

I don't think you have to worry too much. You will probably be asked about the yo-yoing of your grades, but if your cumulative is about a 3.5, you're fine. My cumulative is around that (except my trend is a bit different than yours, bad-->good), and I've done better than I expected.

Originally posted by HollyJ
I'm confused. Are those quarter grades? Were you in school for six years?

erm, I have been in school for 12 quarters.

YEah, I have 2 C's (one credit and 3 credit courses) a 2 C+'s (2 3 credit courses)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah my mcat august 2003

ps 10 bs 14 ps 13 P

engineering major

Thanks people, I love you guys!!! merry X-mas!

ps 10 bs 14 ps 13 P

engineering major

Its people like you that make average applicants on SDN paranoid about getting in. :rolleyes:

I dont know what you're worried about unless you want to go to harvard or hopkins. sheesh.

ps 10 bs 14 ps 13 P

engineering major

If you do have problems from these stats, it will undoubtably be because you took the physical science section twice and skipped the verbal reasoning.;)

OMG, a 37 on your MCAT-- now I can definitely say you do NOT need to be worried.

especially that gpa reflects an engineering degree.

exmike,
I don't mean to give any one worries/etc

I decided late to be a doctor.

I have 0 clinical experience now. Plus, I have a bitchy premed advisor who told me different things (check my previous post if you want to know). Not to mention, many premed classes told that I need this and that and a good GPA trend.

Also, I am a foreign student. SO things will be different for me.

I do not plan to practice. I do not wish to go to Harvard or yale or some top ivies. A decent research oriented medical school is fine for me. I know it is hard to get in here.

The reason I want to go to med school here is
1) I can't apply to med school in my country anymore becaus eI am way over the age limit

2) It is easier for me to get funding here compare to ie. UK (government funding-my gov. not US) Obvious my gov favors student who get into US med school than any other med schools in the world.

I apologize if of you are paranoid with me. SOrry

hurhur, a 10 in verbal.

Nice rgporter.

Originally posted by rgporter
If you do have problems from these stats, it will undoubtably be because you took the physical science section twice and skipped the verbal reasoning.;)

exmike,
I don't mean to give any one worries/etc

I decided late to be a doctor.

I have 0 clinical experience now. Plus, I have a bitchy premed advisor who told me different things (check my previous post if you want to know). Not to mention, many premed classes told that I need this and that and a good GPA trend.

Also, I am a foreign student. SO things will be different for me.

I do not plan to practice. I do not wish to go to Harvard or yale or some top ivies. A decent research oriented medical school is fine for me. I know it is hard to get in here.

The reason I want to go to med school here is
1) I can't apply to med school in my country anymore becaus eI am way over the age limit

2) It is easier for me to get funding here compare to ie. UK (government funding-my gov. not US) Obvious my gov favors student who get into US med school than any other med schools in the world.

I apologize if of you are paranoid with me. SOrry

Its pretty much established that a lot of premed advisors dont know crap. A lot of us wouldnt be going to med school if we listened to them. Being an international I guess i can see why you're worried. You still have a year left in school so why dont you get those extracurriculars done. You cant do anything now about your two bad quarters, so why dont you focus on what you CAN change, i.e. clinical experience, volunteering, etc. I think you'll be fine.

I have graduated if you missed what I said above.

BUt I will be here for practical training so I will spend those time volunteering. Also there are 6 bad quarters not 2. I wish it was only 2 :)

I am applying next year. If I get in, I get in; else I will be flipping burgers somewhere in the world.

You can marry an american and get citizenship :D

1) I can't apply to med school in my country anymore because I am way over the age limit

Wow, an age limit on med school application. Makes you appreciate the ability to do anything at any age here in the U.S.

karategirl, Yup I love it here. No age limit. It's all about freedomt o do anything provided you do not violate the laws. However, I plan to practice in my country.

I love the tropical weather thruughout the year in my country.

Exmike,
how about I just marry to you.
:laugh:
Nice suggestion, but no. I wouldn't want to stoop that low.

Exmike,

Marrying me is stooping low?? :oops:
ouch

Exmike,

Wow, Exmike, I think she just dissed you. :laugh:

hurhur... I didn't mean that though. SHoot, I should just keep my mouth shut. :X

I mean if I simply marry someone american just to get a citizenship in order to get into medschool, that is low.

marrying you is not stooping low.

Erm, how did my thread about GPA trend get to this point?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

hurhur... I didn't mean that though. SHoot, I should just keep my mouth shut. :X

I mean if I simply marry someone american just to get a citizenship in order to get into medschool, that is low.

Whats lower, marrying to get in med school, or eating a poop hot dog? (see poop hot dog thread).

Erm, how did my thread about GPA trend get to this point?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You must be new here.

Welcome to SDN. :)

Right. On that note, I'm going to make me a nice cup of Formosa Oolong because that seems to be the logical thing to do. It also seems like a logical followup for the other posts on this thread. :)

Originally posted by KarateGirl
You must be new here.

Welcome to SDN. :)

:laugh: :laugh:

Maybe it's just me but is 3.0 really that low? It's like a B average or something? Are the med schools really gonna rule someone out who has a 37 on their MCAT because they got a 3.04 during the winter of their sophomore year? I think the overall GPA is more important, no?

Beth go volunteer at a free clinic for a year and you'll be good to go.

Exmike,
Nice suggestion, but no. I wouldn't want to stoop that low. [/B]

man beth....mike is a good looking guy...

id strongly consider it if i were you ;)

WHy don't you marry him Jlee
:p

I will

thanks!

Originally posted by Brickhouse

Maybe it's just me but is 3.0 really that low? It's like a B average or something? Are the med schools really gonna rule someone out who has a 37 on their MCAT because they got a 3.04 during the winter of their sophomore year? I think the overall GPA is more important, no?

stop changing the subject :p

Originally posted by exmike
stop changing the subject :p

And give exmike a chance, he's a good guy....

Alright now people.
I didn't change the subject. (see the title of the thread)

I only give bad guy a chance . Good guys are left for good girls.
Alright now exmike, don't start saying that you are a bad guy

Merry X-mas everyone.

:D

Yay! I'm not longer a "Junior Member"

Originally posted by ixitixl
Yay! I'm not longer a "Junior Member"

Congrats! This calls for celebration!

Congrats! This calls for celebration!

Yes. I'm brewing another batch of Formosa Oolong tea as we speak!

Yes. I'm brewing another batch of Formosa Oolong tea as we speak!

Maybe add a shot of tequila?

No no. It's gotta be vodka. Only vodka will do.

No no. It's gotta be vodka. Only vodka will do.

Is that because you're Russian?

Give up now! A 3.0 next to a 3.8? Are you on crack? Uncontrollable drug habits look bad on applications...

:eek: Did someone say tequila? :clap:

I have a bad tequila habit. I hope the adcoms don't find out.

WHy don't you marry him Jlee
:p

well cali doesnt recognization same sex marriages...
so im gonna go with my alternate plan and look for a nice girl :love:

ps 10 bs 14 ps 13 P

engineering major

God forbid you only have a 3.5 or whatever. Are you seriously concerned about your chances? If so, then I think you're numbers are the least of your worries.

Sometimes I think that some of the authors of posts just write stats to make others feel worse and to glorify themselves. Aren't we supposed to help each other, not make each other feel lower?:confused:

Originally posted by eve
God forbid you only have a 3.5 or whatever. Are you seriously concerned about your chances? If so, then I think you're numbers are the least of your worries.

Sometimes I think that some of the authors of posts just write stats to make others feel worse and to glorify themselves. Aren't we supposed to help each other, not make each other feel lower?:confused:

she has a legitimate worry since she is an international applicant and regardless of the numbers it is difficult for the applicants to get accepted here in the US. so yeah...

but she sounds cool and we welcome her to the club sdn. :cool:

thank you for the understanding jlee.

I appreciate that.

Eve, that is true, I am a foreign student so my stats aren't solid. It is an uphill battle for me.

SOrry, If I seemed as if I was making other premeds feel .. well. paranoid'