How bad is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g2daizh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophmore in college and this semesters grades aren't looking so good. I'm currently at a 3.68 with 56 hours, but I loaded up on science classes this semester and got smoked. At most im looking at 2 Bs and 1 C, which I wouldn't be happy with, but fine. But its looking more and more likely that I may end up with lower.

Worst case scenario:

O Chem II - C
Microbiology - C
Cell Biology - D

If this happens it will bring my GPA down to ~3.43.

I'm obvioulsy going to work my butt off these next two weeks and try to rock the finals, and I'm taking a pretty light course load during next fall so I can spend most of my time studying the MCAT, while still bringing my GPA up.

I'm just wondering:

How bad is this one semester is going to look if it ends up this way?

If I bring up my GPA to ~3.66 before I apply, will they still look negatively at my application due to this semester?

Thanks before hand!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the bad semester due to any extraneous problem you can write about? If so, a single semester won't kill ya. If its not due to any extenuating circumstances, I'd say it's not a great thing -- although med schools are somewhat forgiving of a bad GPA if there's an upward trend, they'd look down on one towards the end of your college career. I'd keep taking coursework for several semesters to pull the GPA up (ie establish an upward trend and some consistency) before applying to medical school.

Another thing to keep in mind, too, is that adcoms are smart bunches of people who would see through the whole "taking a light load to boost GPA routine" and are likely to not look as favorably at a light courseload knowing that it is in fact easier to accomplish good grades under a light load. They want to see that you can handle the demanding curriculum of medical school, and taking a light load isn't exactly the best way to do that. That being said, getting straight As and only taking 9 units will trump 12 or 15 units of Bs and Cs every single time.

I wouldn't sweat it too much though, 56 hours is nothing and relatively easy to improve. I think you'd be able to improve your GPA back in the good range within a few semesters. Good luck!

One bad semester won't be heald against you if you redeem your cGPA/BCPM GPA as projected. You may have to wait until after senior year to apply, but the situation won't preclude an acceptance to med school. Any B you get from now on will set back your recovery, so set your mind on the need for excellence in every class.