How bad would it look...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

420skeptic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It wouldn't look bad like at all. Not even a little. Most people on here do their post-bac at community colleges. I'd think there was something wrong with you if you were paying 2-3x as much to go to a University without working on a degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you even think you're taking the easy way out? Unless you attended HYS, MIT, and the like, i highly doubt a state school and its counterparts are any more rigorous especially at a LOWER DIVISION LEVEL. college calc, phys, chem, and bio are all built using the same bread and butter framework. While teaching methodology may differ, the equations you are asked to memorize along with their testable questions are based entirely on said courses curriculum as established by the textbook. To support my assertion, I once took Physics 2 at a university where we completely skipped the Pauli exclusion principle and certain parts of mass defect. On the other hand, my prof at a CC made it a point that we would not be skipping any chapters under any circumstance as following the syllabus to the button was tantamount to our success.

Moreover, you said money is tight so what other option do you have? you can slave away trying to EVENTUALLY save up to take "university level" biology...:rolleyes: or completely and utterly handle it at CC while never giving it a second thought...

Last edited:
I'm wondering something similar, too. It seems like every time this question is asked on pre-allo, most people say to stay away from CCs if you can. Based on the answers before me, maybe DO schools don't care about that as much?

I'm wondering something similar, too. It seems like every time this question is asked on pre-allo, most people say to stay away from CCs if you can. Based on the answers before me, maybe DO schools don't care about that as much?

It's the pre med neurosis talking.

It wouldn't look bad like at all. Not even a little. Most people on here do their post-bac at community colleges. I'd think there was something wrong with you if you were paying 2-3x as much to go to a University without working on a degree.

I'm all for CC work and the last part of your sentence is the best response I've ever heard.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the pre med neurosis talking.

Now, if only I could find a CC who offers gen chem 1 and 2 without the lab. I did well in the labs, which were separate at my original undergrad school from the lecture, but I need to retake just the lecture this fall. Each class is $900 at the university here (not my original school - I just moved) vs. $250 at the CC but I'm being stubborn. I don't want to nor do I need to retake the lab and not only that, I'm not sure how AACOMAS would count the retake in that case. :arghh:

thats the trade off. I never heard of a CC on a semester system that offers lecture as an entirely separate entity for that purpose. A distant CC in my area has the two separate on its schedule of classes but you cannot, under any circumstance enroll without being concurrently enrolled in the other.

Now, if only I could find a CC who offers gen chem 1 and 2 without the lab. I did well in the labs, which were separate at my original undergrad school from the lecture, but I need to retake just the lecture this fall. Each class is $900 at the university here (not my original school - I just moved) vs. $250 at the CC but I'm being stubborn. I don't want to nor do I need to retake the lab and not only that, I'm not sure how AACOMAS would count the retake in that case. :arghh:

You get two grades as if you were taking the lecture and lab separate. Actually it's not a bad deal.
Say in your original 3+1 university course you got a "C" in the lecture and a "B" in the lab -- then retook at a CC (4 hour course) and got an "A" -- then you'd have an "A" in your lecture and an "A" in your lab.

You get two grades as if you were taking the lecture and lab separate. Actually it's not a bad deal.
Say in your original 3+1 university course you got a "C" in the lecture and a "B" in the lab -- then retook at a CC (4 hour course) and got an "A" -- then you'd have an "A" in your lecture and an "A" in your lab.

That's what I was assuming would happen. I'm just afraid to take the lab again because I know I can get an A in the lecture but the lab adds more variability. What if they grade on percent yield? That's always the worst.

Actually my original was 3 + 1 credits and the CC class is 5 credits total. Would they count the repeat as 4 or 5 credits?

That's what I was assuming would happen. I'm just afraid to take the lab again because I know I can get an A in the lecture but the lab adds more variability. What if they grade on percent yield? That's always the worst.

Actually my original was 3 + 1 credits and the CC class is 5 credits total. Would they count the repeat as 4 or 5 credits?

They consider the additional hours, so that will only help if you do better. I had one class like that, 3 hours originally and the repeat was 4 hours.

They consider the additional hours, so that will only help if you do better. I had one class like that, 3 hours originally and the repeat was 4 hours.

Good to know. Now if I can only find a spot in a class somewhere...

Thanks!