How big is Boston Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esjung

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is their class size?

Members don't see this ad.

Google it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
115 but i heard they may expand from a friend

If you got any other questions.. fire it away.

If you got any other questions.. fire it away.

Hi there! I was just wondering if you could talk a bit about how you like the program so far? There arent many threads on SDN. It would be nice to hear about your personal experiences :)

Hi there! I was just wondering if you could talk a bit about how you like the program so far? There arent many threads on SDN. It would be nice to hear about your personal experiences :)

I am currently finishing up 2nd year preparing to enter Clinic in August, So.. everything I tell you here is based on what I experienced and saw myself.
1st year: Not too bad. Block exam schedule, exams every week sometimes 2/week, but its definitely manageable. Tons of time to study and tons of time to enjoy Boston. Went upstairs to clinic couple of times to assist and watch upperclassmen do different things. APEX sounds like its bad thing.. but I personally think its what you get out of it. I had opportunity to pursue research and APEX at the same time and I was able to learn alot about new digital dentistry and how offices run. It maybe bad according to some others and yeah I agree. But I spent good time during my APEX and prepared for my national boards and cruised through the summer.
2nd year: Things get serious here now.. because you start to take whole lot of courses to enter clinic. You pretty much spend time in pre-clinical lab and do lot of different activities preparing for practical exams. There are tons of exams, but definitely manageable as well. School started to integrate lot of digital dentistry with use of CEREC and other machines, so we are actually learning alot about new techniques that could be available in practices by the time you graduate. Classmates are great, help each other lots and get along well.
You probably saw posts about BU having chair issues, but I don't really think that is an issue now, because we converted to group practice and everything is pretty much under control.
We see great variety of patients and school seems like they focus lot on removable prosthodontics aka dentures and etc. If you got more questions inbox me.

Reactions: 1 users
BU grad here... Just curious... can you explain the group practice concept? How does it work?
It's what I think most schools do, which is having one or two faculty oversee a group of students. Generally, the assigned faculty are the ones that you refer to for help in somewhat finding patients, for checking your work during clinic, and your group practice has students that you help assist in earlier years and that assist you in later years, etc. It helps keep things more organized and running smoothly

It's what I think most schools do, which is having one or two faculty oversee a group of students. Generally, the assigned faculty are the ones that you refer to for help in somewhat finding patients, for checking your work during clinic, and your group practice has students that you help assist in earlier years and that assist you in later years, etc. It helps keep things more organized and running smoothly
BU grad here... Just curious... can you explain the group practice concept? How does it work?

@obscurlit nailed it. We have two group practice leaders now and there are 9 groups. We have about 15-16 people in each group + advanced standing students. School co-ordinate you with all the booking and chair management and leaders find what you need and help you get the requirements filled out. There are group supervising faculty and they rotate every week or day and they help with actual procedures and overlooks the student for each day.

@obscurlit nailed it. We have two group practice leaders now and there are 9 groups. We have about 15-16 people in each group + advanced standing students. School co-ordinate you with all the booking and chair management and leaders find what you need and help you get the requirements filled out. There are group supervising faculty and they rotate every week or day and they help with actual procedures and overlooks the student for each day.

That sounds like a huge improvement!

Our biggest issues were: 1) lack of available chairs (way more students, plus AS, than chairs)
2) uneven distribution of procedures, with some people doing tons of operative and barely any removable (for example)
3) because of that uneven distribution, a large number of people not getting their requirements all done by graduation...