How can a MS3 improve their EM application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TidalVolume

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread might be useful to all the MS3's out there that hope to match into EM. (I wasn't sure if this thread would belong in this forum so mods please feel free to move it if necessary.)

I was just wondering what would be some things that a MS3 can do during their third and fourth year to improve their applications: (ie: which rotations to honor in, research vs. case reports, 4th year electives, LORs, Step II, etc.)

On a personal note, I was hoping for a little tailored advice. I go to an allopathic school in the southeast. I got a 248 on my Step 1 and I'm in the top 3rd of my class, but not likely to get AOA. I have no medical research papers yet because I spent most of my summer between my first and second year working/shadowing at a hospital in a developing country and taking a medical spanish course (and doing a lot of hiking!). My current career counselor is the EM program director at my school, but I have not met with him in person yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this thread might be useful to all the MS3's out there that hope to match into EM. (I wasn't sure if this thread would belong in this forum so mods please feel free to move it if necessary.)

I was just wondering what would be some things that a MS3 can do during their third and fourth year to improve their applications: (ie: which rotations to honor in,

All of them

research vs. case reports,

Yes, these are good

4th year electives,

Yes, do these also

Get some of these

Step II, etc.)

Take this.

All of them

Yes, these are good

Yes, do these also

Get some of these

Take this.

So helpful...

Why even post and take the time to make separate quotes/responses if you're not going to add anything new? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
So helpful...

Why even post and take the time to make separate quotes/responses if you're not going to add anything new? :confused:
The point he's making is that you already know what to do to improve your app. Why take the time to post a thread already outlining the answer to your own question? ;)

Seriously, just relax. You're doing all the right things, and you're going to be fine. Spend this year focusing on doing well in your clerkships and line up a couple of EM rotations for next summer so that you can get SLORs. Case reports or research are nice but not a priority if it means sacrificing your clerkship grades. Take Step 2 in time to have your score back before rank lists are due. Meet with your adviser for specific advice about other electives to take. Submit your ERAS in September and not at the last minute. That's it.

The point he's making is that you already know what to do to improve your app. Why take the time to post a thread already outlining the answer to your own question? ;)

Seriously, just relax. You're doing all the right things, and you're going to be fine. Spend this year focusing on doing well in your clerkships and line up a couple of EM rotations for next summer so that you can get SLORs. Case reports or research are nice but not a priority if it means sacrificing your clerkship grades. Take Step 2 in time to have your score back before rank lists are due. Meet with your adviser for specific advice about other electives to take. Submit your ERAS in September and not at the last minute. That's it.

This.

Also, try to figure out (and be able to explain in <100 words) why do you want to do what you think you want to do. It's good to know the answer to 'why EM?'. Not just for interview/personal statement purposes but to really understand how good a fit you are.

'I love trauma' or 'I love the adrenaline' is not a thoughtful answer. Neither is listing someone else's list of pros of EM. There are lots of pros and lots of cons to EM and you should take the time to figure out which of the pros are important to YOU. That kind of introspection is the most important part of 3rd year.

Thanks for the tips. I was just wondering if research was really as trivial as some of my buddies who have matched into EM make it out to be.

This.

Also, try to figure out (and be able to explain in <100 words) why do you want to do what you think you want to do. It's good to know the answer to 'why EM?'. Not just for interview/personal statement purposes but to really understand how good a fit you are.

'I love trauma' or 'I love the adrenaline' is not a thoughtful answer. Neither is listing someone else's list of pros of EM. There are lots of pros and lots of cons to EM and you should take the time to figure out which of the pros are important to YOU. That kind of introspection is the most important part of 3rd year.

Wow we really only get 100 words?

I'm not stressing it too much. I just wanted to be prepared so I can submit ERAS early and not wait until the last second like I did with med school apps.

Wow we really only get 100 words?

I'm not stressing it too much. I just wanted to be prepared so I can submit ERAS early and not wait until the last second like I did with med school apps.

The personal statement is longer. What I meant with 100 words is that over the next couple of years people will ask you 'how did you choose EM?' a lot and you should have a somewhat succinct and intelligent answer. It takes about a minute to speak a 100 words, so that's your longform for that one.

Thanks for the tips. I was just wondering if research was really as trivial as some of my buddies who have matched into EM make it out to be.
Research can actually be helpful for the programs that are academic based and want to get residents who are going to publish their required "scholarly activity". Its not critical but it can help to have a EM related pub (any really but EM prob best). Your Step 1 is very solid for EM and I don't think you will have a hard time in the match, Really try to Honor Surgery, Medicine and Peds, all your EM rotations for solid SLORs and have both CK and CS scores before Rank lists are due and you should have more interviews than you can handle.

Research can actually be helpful for the programs that are academic based and want to get residents who are going to publish their required "scholarly activity". Its not critical but it can help to have a EM related pub (any really but EM prob best). Your Step 1 is very solid for EM and I don't think you will have a hard time in the match, Really try to Honor Surgery, Medicine and Peds, all your EM rotations for solid SLORs and have both CK and CS scores before Rank lists are due and you should have more interviews than you can handle.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm going to focus all my energy right now into trying to honor my rotations. My school just got rid of the "pass with commendation" grade, so rotations are now either honors or pass (or fail:eek:).