How can I find a pharmacy technician job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently don't have my pharmacy technician licence so I'm only applying in retail stores. The problem with that is, most of them have the application online and whenever I submit them it feels like no one gets back to me. I tried going into a few cvs stores and asking and all they say is fill the online application and we'll get back to you. Of course they never do. So now I'm just wondering, how and where should I be looking for these jobs? Also during this winter break I plan on taking the PTCB, should I wait until I'm licenced before applying somewhere or should I take my chances? Last question, is it okay to physically go into all the stores and ask them if they are hiring? Should I wait until after new years? Oh and idk if this helps, but I live in NYC so we don't have any walmarts in close distance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Get a license; it will open doors for you that are currently shut.

2. Dress nicely and drop a resume off at the pharmacy in the store where you would like to work; ask that they give it to the hiring manager. Ask the stores who the hiring manager is and how to contact them. Try to be the person everybody wants to work with.

3. After dropping off your resume, give it a few days, then call the hiring manager and introduce yourself. Mention you dropped off your resume and submitted an application and you wondered if they've had a chance to read it because you really want to work for them (explain you are prepharmacy and really want to gain experience...).

This may at least get you noticed, and hopefully get you an interview.

Good luck!

It is a fairly simple process really... I didn't take the exam nor had any pharmacy experience. Over a three day period I went to 13 different pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS, Target, Publix, Bi-Lo, Walmart, Rite-Aid, and a small community pharmacy). I simply walked in, asked if the Pharmacy Manager or Pharmacist on duty was around, introduced myself, explained that I am currently a Pre-Pharmacy student looking to gain pharmacy experience. Some of them were really personable and easy to talk to and were happy to talk with me but none were looking to hire at the moment. I received a call about a week later from a Walgreens near my house and they wanted to interview me and I was hired on the spot after the interview.

I feel extremely lucky in that I was hired by the most knowledgeable, personable, helpful, and experienced Pharmacy Manager, I believe, in town.

Just walk in a be honest about your intentions and plan out how you will introduce yourself. They will tell you if they're looking to hire or not. If they like you, they will call you back. I did all of the online applications as well but was not contacted because of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other responses. Definitely go in person to the stores and bring copies of your resume. Besides the chain pharmacies, you could check out independent pharmacies in your area. From my experience, they may be a little more responsive. It's up to you whether you want to wait until the new year or until you're certified, but getting started now couldn't hurt. When you tell the pharmacist/manager that you are a pre-pharmacy student trying to get experience, you can mention that you are taking the PTCB exam on X date and will be certified soon. (This is what I did.)

I had the same issues when I was looking for a tech job. Keep trying and something will open up! :)

hit me up...u can borrow my canadian tuxedo for your interview.