How can I get into med school?

Mommyto2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a business major with a minor in bio. I go to school online, am 20, a mother of two, and I run my own business... I know I need to be "well-rounded" with extra curriculars to get into med school but I'm not sure what I can do. I also need to know what classes I need to take to qualify. I'd like to study plastic surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a business major with a minor in bio. I go to school online, am 20, a mother of two, and I run my own business... I know I need to be "well-rounded" with extra curriculars to get into med school but I'm not sure what I can do. I also need to know what classes I need to take to qualify. I'd like to study plastic surgery.

I'd focus on pre-reqs and the MCAT. Have you tried volunteering/shadowing to see if this is something you'd really like to do? Also, your post will probably be moved to pre-allo.

I'm weeks away from delivering my 2nd child so I haven't really gotten the chance. I'm just starting college next month and I planned to do some shadowing next summer

Members don't see this ad :)
You are posting this in hSDN -- a high school forum where posters usually have no undergraduate level experience. You should post this in Pre-Allo or Pre-Osteo, but I am sure a moderator will move it.

Basic requirements for medical school are:

Bio I & II w/ lab
Chem I & II w/ Lab
O Chem I & II w/ Lab
Physics I & II w/Lab
Calculus and/or Statistics

Undergraduate coursework has no effect on where you will match into residency. Usually residency programs look at Step I USMLE/COMLEX scores, letters of recommendation and evaluations from rotations. It helps to rotate in your M3 and M4 year at institutions which you hope to land a residency position.

Welcome to SDN :)

Thank you! I posted it here because I'm just starting my freshman year and have no prior college experience. I didn't realize I needed to post elsewhere.

Thank you! I posted it here because I'm just starting my freshman year and have no prior college experience. I didn't realize I needed to post elsewhere.

No problem. Good luck with everything and feel free to PM me if you need any help.

You need to take all the necessary pre reqs (+ undergrad degree), get good grades (at least above 3.5 cumulative and science, usually), and have lots of clinical experience and some research will definitely be a major plus. Getting clinical experience is critical to see if you really want to do medicine because not only getting in is a long arduous process, but old saying goes: med school is like drinking water from a fire hose.

It seems like to me if you want to do plastics you have really high hopes but I would say dont worry about what you want to specialize before actually getting into med school.

Don't mean to drop the bomb, but most med schools will not accept any online course work. This may change due to the state of the economy, but for now, it's a no-no.

Don't mean to drop the bomb, but most med schools will not accept any online course work. This may change due to the state of the economy, but for now, it's a no-no.

Depends on what the school is. If the degree is from University of Phoenix or something like that it's likely to be an issue. If they are online classes offered by a regular brick-and-mortar school, the adcom has no way of knowing that they were taken online.

Regardless, most of the med school prereqs have a required lab component so you can't earn your degree completely online and be ready to apply.

First thing's first: what will you sacrifice? Two kids + running a business + med school doesn't work. 15 hour shifts will ensure something has to give. The fact that you want to go into plastics tells me you are most likely unaware of the lifestyle and time commitment. My best advice to you would be to shadow full days with whatever specialty you want to consider to get a feel of both the medicine and lifestyle.

I agree with most of what has already been said, especially visiting the non-trad section, nixing the online classes and shadowing various specialties but the first thing that jumped out to me while reading this was the amount of responsibility in your life and whether you have adequate support. It is definitely possible to become an MD (and also a plastic surgeon if this is what you want) from your situation but you are going to need a huge amount of support and balance.

Check out Mommd if you haven't already