How can I help my intern boyfriend?

Started by girl8282
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

girl8282

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there, my boyfriend is a new intern, who just moved to the US. Neither of us are American, and we are currently in an LDR (7000 miles 😱).

I am very worried about him. Not only is he alone in a foreign country and English is not his first language, but he is having such a hard time with the workload, as I am sure all residents do. I didn't know anything about residency before this as I am not in a medical field, and I have been reading so many horror stories over the past few weeks about what residency actually entails. Now I think all doctors are heroes!!

So far things between us are fine, he makes the effort to text me a couple of times a day even though he is consistently working 14+ hours a day and is exhausted. But he has said that he is really struggling and he misses me a lot. I've tried encouraging him but i think that my words are useless since I cannot be there in person to reassure him and even though I am trying my very best to understand his job, I will never be able to know what he is going through.

I just really want some advice from partner's of residents or residents themselves about what I can do to make him feel better. Especially if you ave also been in a long-distance relationship!
 
Hi there, my boyfriend is a new intern, who just moved to the US. Neither of us are American, and we are currently in an LDR (7000 miles 😱).

I am very worried about him. Not only is he alone in a foreign country and English is not his first language, but he is having such a hard time with the workload, as I am sure all residents do. I didn't know anything about residency before this as I am not in a medical field, and I have been reading so many horror stories over the past few weeks about what residency actually entails. Now I think all doctors are heroes!!

So far things between us are fine, he makes the effort to text me a couple of times a day even though he is consistently working 14+ hours a day and is exhausted. But he has said that he is really struggling and he misses me a lot. I've tried encouraging him but i think that my words are useless since I cannot be there in person to reassure him and even though I am trying my very best to understand his job, I will never be able to know what he is going through.

I just really want some advice from partner's of residents or residents themselves about what I can do to make him feel better. Especially if you ave also been in a long-distance relationship!

Just listen to him. Most of the time what we need is to vent! Let him cry if he needs to.