How can I improve my application at Top 10 level?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotheSky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so bare with me. I was looking for some feedback about how to improve my application. I have Top 10-20 goals, but also plan to include mid tier schools as well.

I'm a Junior

Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.91

Leadership experience: President of my school's LGBT club for 3 years. One of the Project leaders for the local Ecosystem rehabilitation project at my oceanographic center for a year.

Research: 1000+ hrs and 1 mid publication (might need to work on that)

Volunteering (non clinical) 350 hrs between the Oceanographic center and tutoring students short on cash through a school program for free

Volunteering (clinical) 400 hrs - 100 at a local multi specialty clinic, 250 as assistant in hospital, 50 in elderly care unit

Shadowing 60 hrs psychiatry (my preferred field of study)

MCAT: 521 (may retake because my projected was 524 and I feel I didn't push myself as much as I could have)

I also went to a enrichment summer program at UM though I don't know if that matters.

Things I haven't done yet that I plan to do in the next year and a half:

1. Set up and host a Premed specific open study group at my school
2. Help organize a minority outreach program that allows my fellow students to talk about the path to medicine and the struggles they faced and overcame with younger members of the community (maybe a mentor program?)

I talk about my rough childhood, and the difficulties I faced in high school in my PS. I barely graduated high school, almost failed out. My GPA was barely 2.1 when I left. I floundered for a few years unsure of what I wanted in life until I discovered my love for Medicine. I'm proud that I turned things around. Hope to be the first Doctor in the family.

Have 1 really strong LOR and the other is average (professor didn't know me quite as well)

I have my heart set on a top 20 school but I welcome any and all advice. Thanks for taking the time to review this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't retake the 521, way too risky for limited payoff; 521 isn't going to be that different from a 524 especially for your GPA range

Don't retake the 521, way too risky for limited payoff; 521 isn't going to be that different from a 524 especially for your GPA range

Good point there. Probably best to stick with my original score.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 521 is above the average at every single school in the country except for washu where it's exactly the average (and they're considered stats ****** around here). There would really be no reason for you to retake it at all and if for some reason you score the same or worse it'll probably just show bad judgement. Just be happy with the awesome score!

Everything else sounds great but I think you should do some non psychiatry shadowing as well if you haven't at all. Maybe like 10 to 20 hours in primary care.

It sounds like you have a solid T20 application and a good story. As others have said, definitely do not retake your MCAT score. Above a 520, luck comes into play just as much as "pushing" yourself.

My advice for you is to look more deeply into the schools you're interested in and assess for fit. Not every T20 school (or below) will fit what you're looking for -- some are more research-focused, others have missions to serve underserved populations, and some are more primary-care focused. Additionally, having just gone through this process myself, don't have your heart set on one school. I think that one can estimate their chances at a range of schools (e.g. T20), but not at one particular school. I have not recieved interviews at schools that I absolutely loved and thought I fit at the beginning of the cycle, and I have also fallen in love with schools I was on the fence about after visiting. So keep your mind open!

Additionally, I think it helps to make sure your app is ready to submit on the first day for verification, as well as prewriting secondaries so they are ready to go as they roll in. As you will still be in school, it may also be helpful to schedule your fall classes to be on 2-3 days a week so you have room in your schedule to attend interviews. Good luck! :)

It sounds like you have a solid T20 application and a good story. As others have said, definitely do not retake your MCAT score. Above a 520, luck comes into play just as much as "pushing" yourself.

My advice for you is to look more deeply into the schools you're interested in and assess for fit. Not every T20 school (or below) will fit what you're looking for -- some are more research-focused, others have missions to serve underserved populations, and some are more primary-care focused. Additionally, having just gone through this process myself, don't have your heart set on one school. I think that one can estimate their chances at a range of schools (e.g. T20), but not at one particular school. I have not recieved interviews at schools that I absolutely loved and thought I fit at the beginning of the cycle, and I have also fallen in love with schools I was on the fence about after visiting. So keep your mind open!

Additionally, I think it helps to make sure your app is ready to submit on the first day for verification, as well as prewriting secondaries so they are ready to go as they roll in. As you will still be in school, it may also be helpful to schedule your fall classes to be on 2-3 days a week so you have room in your schedule to attend interviews. Good luck! :)
Ah, good advice here. I appreciate you taking the time.