Medical How can I improve my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This past cycle I applied to 20-MD schools, receiving two II's, with one post-II rejection and one decision still incoming. The rest have been pre-II holds/R's. I am eager to continue improving my application as I wait for the other decision, and was wondering what you all think would be the best ways for me to do this.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.60 (Upward trend) sGPA: 3.54
2016 MCAT: 511; Chem 127, CARS, 127, Bio 128, Psych 129.

Experiences:
Summer Medical Scheduling at local Osteopathic medical school. 30 hours. Helping with medical trips, scheduling, prep, etc.
Semester Afternoon Daycare volunteering at predominantly under-privileged church: 50 hours.
Two Semesters of Volunteering: 80 hours in Habitat for Humanity/Humane Society.
Medical Mission Trip to Third-world country; 4-weeks, 160 hours, shadowing and volunteer experiences.

Work:
Manufacturing Technician for an Antibodies Lab for 4-5 months. Basic Lab procedures completed, no sort of publications with my name. This is the extent of my research experiences besides undergraduate classwork.
Medical Scribe for PCP; entirety of 2018.

Schools Applied: (Southeast Ties, NC IS)
Albany
Creighton
EVMS (family in region)
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth (Dream-Reach)
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Loyola
MCW
MUSC
Penn St
Vermont
Rush
Tufts
Tulane
UNC
USC-Greenville
Wake
WVU

Overall, I felt competitive this cycle, but definitely not overwhelmingly so. My own criticism would involve a lack of sustained community service, basically no research experience, a very average GPA/MCAT, and potentially not choosing medical schools/missions wisely (many reaches). I am open to all suggestions, criticisms, etc. With this, I am wondering if this very next cycle would be worth applying to or if my deficiencies need an extended period of time to address.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. Without a way for me to readily discuss application details with those around me, I'm eager to see what you all think.
Dartmouth and the SC schools were donations.
Your medical missions was viewed as medical tourism. Your non-clinical volunteering ECs are, well, cookie cutter. Get in some more service to others less fortunate than yourself.
You need to have DO schools on your list. Start with all three VCOMs, both PCOMs, CUSOM, KYCOM, the LECOMs and ACOM.
Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them
Get a DO LOR and shadow same.
Work on interview skills. I sense that you weren't able to seal the deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the quick response and your advice. I agree, I guess I should have included that I did my undergrad in SC, but still very low yield. Was hoping.
You will need to make a better case as to why and how you'd be willing to stay on in SC. The tax payers want to know that you're going to stick around since they're educating you on their dime.

In that regard I guess I would need to strengthen my close-ties essay. Might be getting greedy here, but any advice on SMP, MCAT retake, research? Not applying DO was a big mistake on my part and I definitely will on my next try. If I plan on bolstering my ECs/volunteerism and involve myself in some shadowing, I should still time to dedicate myself towards something. Haven’t had success trying to get involved in research. Just recently stopped scribing to try and seek out new opportunities that may bolster the resume.
No need for SMP or MCAT retake
Your scribing counts as shadowing; how long did you do it?
Suggest prolong engagement in service to others less fortunate than yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.