how can i know if i can be a good radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutcancer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ms iii here..how does one know at this point if they can be a good radiologist? how did you all, at the ms iii stage, commit to radx? how did you know it would be a good fit? do you have to be a stud in anatomY?

did anyone else see rads as a pure lifestyle profession and then learned to appreciate it? what did it take to achieve this?

Members don't see this ad.

ms iii here..how does one know at this point if they can be a good radiologist? how did you all, at the ms iii stage, commit to radx? how did you know it would be a good fit? do you have to be a stud in anatomY?

did anyone else see rads as a pure lifestyle profession and then learned to appreciate it? what did it take to achieve this?

How do you determine if you like ANY field in general? It takes HOMEWORK. If you're interested, skim through some radiology books see if the subject matter interests you. Shadow a radiologist.

I thumbed through all manner of texts my first year of medical school and found that reconstructive plastic surgery and interventional radiology interested me the most. I shadowed an IR guy a few times my 2nd year of med school. Then spent a week of my spring break shadowing some more. Then I knew it was for me.

As far as when you will know when you have the skills to make a good physician regardless of specialty, I don't think you can really know until you've been practicing for a few years. It comes with lots of experience.

How can a surgeon know where he stands as far as complications, success rate, getting out of stick situations, etc until he gets a couple hundred cases under his belt?