How can i match in a specific city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalschoolhopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife matched NYC for her OB residency. I'm planning on applying either FM or IM, and really don't care about the hospital I'm in. We've done long distance now for a few years (different medical schools) so I just want to be in the same city as her. Any recs to better my chances at NYC from Georgia?

Members don't see this ad.

FM won’t be too bad in NYC in terms of matching any program
Neither will it be to do a community IM program. Most people don't want to be in NY due to rent and how ****ty residency is there. Just apply everywhere and interview well

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll match in nyc just fine. make sure you have some sort of connection highlighted in your application if you're not from the area. i applied to NYC for FM and got around 2 interviews. i assume it's because i'm not from NYC/don't have any ties to NYC (originally from cali but doing rotations in midwest).

There’s actually not many FM programs in NYC, but there are more in the nearby suburbs like Long Island and upstate and Jersey. Def apply IM though as there are many many options!

you'll match in nyc just fine. make sure you have some sort of connection highlighted in your application if you're not from the area. i applied to NYC for FM and got around 2 interviews. i assume it's because i'm not from NYC/don't have any ties to NYC (originally from cali but doing rotations in midwest).

Would doing away rotations in NYC improve your chances? I don’t really have any direct ties to NYC but I’ll be going to school in Philly.

How about matching neurology in Chicago?

How about matching neurology in Chicago?
Northwestern? Incredibly hard
Rush? Very hard
UChicago? Hard
Loyola/UIC - not too hard

This all depends on your step scores, clinical grades, AOA, class rank, research etc. some programs value more than others (ie research), others don’t care.

Altogether Chicago is a desirable city with only 5 programs, with ~40 neurology residents each year.

Reactions: 1 user
Rush? Very hard
UChicago? Hard

This all depends on your step scores, clinical grades, AOA, class rank, research etc. some programs value more than others (ie research), others don’t care.

Altogether Chicago is a desirable city with only 5 programs, with ~40 neurology residents each year.
What about matching Neurology in California, Washington or Oregon? Id like to move back to the west coast after med school.

if you want to match in a certain area put in the work of sifting thru programs you meet their minimum listed criteria for acceptance. make sure it is decent list (10-15+) or expand out. then setup sub-Is at your top programs you think will consider you. letters and personal statement specific towards nyc, say your spouse is in nyc, they like to hear that. say you want to stay forever in nyc to practice, residencies like to keep those they train. all of that combined will give you a high likelihood of matching, especially IM or FM.

What about matching Neurology in California, Washington or Oregon? Id like to move back to the west coast after med school.
I didn’t apply to any of those programs so hard to say, I know OHSU and UW both have a really good reputation, and all of the UCs are desirable. I’m unaware of smaller programs (eg community) so can’t comment on those

if you want to match in a certain area put in the work of sifting thru programs you meet their minimum listed criteria for acceptance. make sure it is decent list (10-15+) or expand out. then setup sub-Is at your top programs you think will consider you. letters and personal statement specific towards nyc, say your spouse is in nyc, they like to hear that. say you want to stay forever in nyc to practice, residencies like to keep those they train. all of that combined will give you a high likelihood of matching, especially IM or FM.
Dumb question, but where do you even find this information? Is there something like MSAR for residency?

Rush? Very hard
UChicago? Hard

I know you didn't match IM, but do you know how competitive IM is in Chicago? I'm putting all my eggs in the Chicago basket haha

I know you didn't match IM, but do you know how competitive IM is in Chicago? I'm putting all my eggs in the Chicago basket haha

Depends on if you’re cool with community programs (Cook County, Advocate health systems, etc). If yes, then relatively easy. If you’re looking for academic programs (Northwestern, UC, Rush, UIC, Loyola) then toughest in that order I’d guess. This also comes down to if you’re a super strong or mediocre applicant too

Depends on if you’re cool with community programs (Cook County, Advocate health systems, etc). If yes, then relatively easy. If you’re looking for academic programs (Northwestern, UC, Rush, UIC, Loyola) then toughest in that order I’d guess. This also comes down to if you’re a super strong or mediocre applicant too
Thanks for your insight!

Not sure if UofC is terribly hard given that they regularly match DOs, moreso than rush. Northwestern hates DOs. Loyola is malignant IIRC.

Dumb question, but where do you even find this information? Is there something like MSAR for residency?

ERAS is a good one, probably the most comprehensive. BUT, it is not all inclusive. I was looking for rural family medicine program in a certain area of the country and realized quite quickly that ERAS is great for large institutionalized programs that have close connections with universities, but smaller programs, more rural programs, newer programs will not always be on ERAS. Even on ERAS not all of the information is uptodate. Once you decide on your number one filtering factor (location, proximity to cities, specialty (obviously one of them)) then look thru the 50-100 programs and go to their website, they all have one. 99% of residency programs list their application requirements on their home page, and usually mention minimum scores and such. make a spreadsheet, make sure to list not only that but how many DOs on average they accept as some will still filter alot of DOs except for the outstanding applicants. will take a few hours but this will give you a much better idea of where to apply to once your done.