Medical How Can I Move Forward From Conduct Record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I wanted to ask about good ways to move forward from having an alcohol sanction on my conduct record. I am a sophomore undergrad currently, and at the end of last semester I was written up for alcohol/presence of alcohol while under 21 and completed an alcohol.edu course as a result. I know there is no way around disclosing this, and I know lots of people have asked this question before, but as I still have time before applying I wanted to know if there are any strategies that will best help to mitigate this and keep me as a competitive applicant. My gpa is currently a 3.87, with science gpa around 3.91. I volunteer at a children’s hospital, at a local soup kitchen, at a Ronald McDonald house, and at a local community for individuals with disabilities. I have some research experience from last summer with a publication pending, and I am looking into doing more this summer as well as perhaps on campus. I will also likely be tutoring high school students for SATs. I have about 80 hours of shadowing. Any and all recommendations are welcome, I know it’s difficult as I’m still a bit far out from the process (no MCAT, gpa could change) but I want to give myself the best possible chance of being accepted if I apply to competitive MD programs assuming everything continues in a similar fashion. Thank you!

Don't get caught twice. The best way to accomplish that is to give up drinking alcohol or being in the presence of alcoholic beverages in campus buildings and in college towns until you are 21.

When you write up the description of your Institutional Action (thats AMCAS-speak for an alcohol sanction or other punishment from your university), don't make excuses. Take responsibility, don't blame others, and write a sentence or two about what you've learned and how you've changed since the incident occured.

These IAs for alcohol on campus are ubiquitous and having a single one will not slow down or hurt your chances of being admitted to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.