How can I obtain a research position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a list of faculty that I would like to do research with and their email addresses. I tried emailing profs last semester (said that I was interested in doing research with them) but they told me that they did not have any available spots.

So I was wondering, how should I approach them this time around? And what should I say?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think emailing is a great tactic. How many did you email last time? I emailed about 15, got 6 responses, met with 3, and finally selected one lab. Consider a wider shotgun approach, if you haven't done so already.

As for emailing again this time around, you can mention that you emailed them before if you like. You should include relevant new information, such as coursework that has made you more eager to work in that type of lab, or experience in another lab situation.

When I emailed faculty, it went something like "My name is _____. I am currently a sophomore studying _______. I am very interested in neurosurgery because it is relevant to my fascination with the brain and behavior. In particular, I read your article on ______ and am interested in those techniques and concepts. If it is possible, I would like to correspond with you further or meet with you to discuss your research and the possibility of joining your lab."

Best of luck!

Talk to a professor you had a class with. If they're not looking to bring a new undergrad into their lab they might know of someone who is. It's another angle to play besides the cold calling.