How can I word my grade problem honestly and effectively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have had good grades all thoughout college. Now in my junior year, they have slipped. These classes are so very hard for me and both semesters I have pulled a 3.0, bringing my overall from a 3.6 to a 3.4ish... I was thinking of talking about my Junior year (or somehow referring to it) in my personal statement. Even if I don't do that, how would you all word this slip.

Should I just say that this semester was hard for me? My prereqs were a joke compared to this year. I piled so much on my plate this year, trying to up my gpa that it backfired on me... but I just can't find the right words to say to help my situation. There has to be a better way to say - this semester was hard.

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, that's tough--esp since you don't want to seem whiny about it. Did you have any other problems during the year, or was it just really hard courses? I almost think that it'd be better not to say anything at all than to complain that certain courses were too "hard" since med school classes are bound to be even worse and the schools are prob looking for people who can handle it. If you want to talk about though, maybe try adding a diff spin?--something like how you learned so much more by struggling in the courses (ie. office hours, TA sessions, what not)...i dunno, that might be rubbish but its just a starting point for how to twist the situation to make you look academically strong rather than weak....uh, yeah, i'll keep thinking about it--good luck! :luck:

If there were things going on in your personal life, those always act as good scapegoats. Focus on the good in your personal statement, then maybe say a sentence or two about it more towards the end. That way you don't look like a whiner, but acknowledge that you realize that might be a weak point.