How can one start a successful plastics practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotwasabi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to be a financially successful plastic surgeon along with procedures, creativity and money you should go into natural gas and oil as soon as you become a plastic surgeon ha

Members don't see this ad :)
He's trying to say... suction lipoplasty, filter out the oil, fill the rest into the face.

I was actually saying use the money you make as a plastic surgeon to invest/become a businessman if you wanna make money, don't rely on PRS to make you rich

okay. thanks guys! but i still think if someone were to become a plastic surgeon they could do pretty well.....here are my guesstimates....

breast augmentation + tummy tuck: charge $25,000. Can do 1 of these operations/day; 4 operating days per week. 1 day office with new/old patients. Have weekends totally off. Making $100,000 per week to translate to roughly $4 million per year in revenue with 10 weeks vacation per year.

With overhead costs, could make $1-3 million profits per year. That is no laughing matter. After 10 years with solid investments that could lead to a very good lifestyle.....

You should worry about passing M1 before worrying about all this stuff, bro.

Reactions: 3 users
holy crap this is a new level of naive. why not just charge 50k and only have to operate 2 days/week? or charge 100k and do 1 day a week.

just charge your 4 mil and work 1 day a year

Reactions: 1 users
okay. thanks guys! but i still think if someone were to become a plastic surgeon they could do pretty well.....here are my guesstimates....

breast augmentation + tummy tuck: charge $25,000. Can do 1 of these operations/day; 4 operating days per week. 1 day office with new/old patients. Have weekends totally off. Making $100,000 per week to translate to roughly $4 million per year in revenue with 10 weeks vacation per year.

With overhead costs, could make $1-3 million profits per year. That is no laughing matter. After 10 years with solid investments that could lead to a very good lifestyle.....

you're such a dingus

-edit- or a lame troll

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
While you're still in college, take an econ class.

Or better yet, read the extremely interesting and helpful thread that Winged Scapula linked about someone who actually did what you are asking about. But I suspect that's too much.

As a hint: Charges =/= reimbursements =/= profits.

Pre-auths, CPTs and DRGs baby. Pre-auths, CPTs and DRGs

:lol::lol::lol:

you're just not being realistic about your numbers.

not to mention it's pretty crazy to even think about what you could make in a plastics(one of the most competitive residencies) practice before you've even started school.

if you want to make $, medicine is not the way to do it. ibanking or trading right out of college can get you 70k + 10k signing + 30-40k bonus = 120k in your first year at least. v being -60k 1st year of med school. by time (if) you make it to a plastics residency, your biz-savvy equivalent will be netting 200-300k yearly w/ whatever saved and compound interested / invested, and will likely have accrued 1 mill by early 30s.

99% sure the OP won't end up in plastics... for a number of reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
i prefer the potential private practice in a medical specialty that interests me... so I am have the ability to make a difference in people's lives, make a solid income, and control my own work hours to balance my priorities in life.

Yes, yes. Breast augmentation, tummy tucks, and nose jobs make a valuable and significant difference in all of our lives.

Although this was written several years ago, it still contains several pearls: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/first-2-weeks-in-practice.542695/

I have to say, I came across this sticky a couple years back when I had more time to read through. I'm not saying it is, but I'm inclined to be skeptical it is... real... I mean on one hand this guy seems to have much less on the ground contacts and seems to be coming up with mainly his own ad-hoc ideas rather than embedding in the community of providers... On the other hand, there are simultaneously details I would think one would be reticent to divulge about what you're doing b/c of sensitivity to things being posted online in a forum like this (too identifiable looking)? Also straight up, this forum is great to connect to people who know what they're doing but this seems like a fairly large amount of motivation to bother posting something like this on a forum like this, I know just med school has me cut way down just came by to ask another question and clicked the top ones for fun. I just don't know why one would be motivated to write something like this when everybody taking initiative at the med school level or beyond can just ask around what it's like being in practice; if the thought was to make this a sort of 'online diary' it's too patchy on the other hand.

On the contrary, some of the details/insights about referral patterns procedures privileges etc do look like they'd be hard to get in there for a premed who just wants to see if they can fool SDN people and kept a joke up for a while. So I don't know. I just want to ask, do 'we' 'know' that this is legitimate? I don't know, could certainly just be me, but on the occasions when I've logged on to this forum I've seen that sticky and always had this thought that it might be better to take it down (because I've been skeptical it is actually a genuine just-started-a-practice account). Don't know I could be alone and totally wrong and if so, I'm OK with that, no big deal.