How Can Spinal Fusion Affect Career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mah Ambition

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I've decided to post my question here because I feel some of you may have the knowledge to provide accurate opinions.

I'm a 21 year old undergrad who recently underwent a spinal fusion from T3-L2 in June. My surgery was a success and my S curvature was reduced from ~80/50 to ~25 even.

I've always visioned a career in medicine and have taken a particular liking towards surgery, however I realize that limitations can and will expected.

Will my condition inhibit me from engaging in certain medical specialties? Can I expect to be faced with crippling back pain if I decide to go into surgery?

I just want to know what elements I have work against.

Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.