How come practically no one mentions U of Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allie86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.. I just think it's a pretty good school and I was surprised when I went to visit at how nice it is and how amazing the facilities and curriculum and everything.. but how little I've heard about it

Is it underrated? is there something really bad about it that I've missed? or the "just a state school" shpeal?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I think more people would apply if they didn't take so few OOS students. I love maryland.

.. I just think it's a pretty good school and I was surprised when I went to visit at how nice it is and how amazing the facilities and curriculum and everything.. but how little I've heard about it

Is it underrated? is there something really bad about it that I've missed? or the "just a state school" shpeal?

Thoughts?

Why make us write 6 essays...haha that was nuts. I know they have looked at my file, but still no interview. Just send me a rejection already.

Members don't see this ad :)
The essays are excessive. I am also too lazy to write them. I should get my stuff together.

No, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I think more people would apply if they didn't take so few OOS students. I love maryland.

Woops
they only take In state??
I'm from NJ and I applied there....
no rejection yet, but also no interview...

They lost their last game~

I sent in my app to them a few days ago and waiting for a secondary, lol. I'm OOS so the odds are stacked against me already. Is a secondary through snail-mail? Do they screen?

Is it underrated? is there something really bad about it that I've missed?

Psst! No one tell Allie about how the *entire* med school class shares the same cadaver for anatomy! :eek:

They don't screen.

They are backstabbers though. I work there currently, did 2 separate summer internships there, am in state, and got my PI to write me a letter (hes a teacher there and head of a department). And no freakin' interview.

Shock Trauma is AWESOME. When I volunteered there I got to go on the helipad. Best in the nation. It was my first choice. Too bad they don't love me.

They don't screen.

Do they nofity receipt of primary app by e-mail? Send out secondary through e-mail? I'm getting worried. I like the Maryland area. Even though Columbia is not THAT close to U Maryland, still nice area.

Shock Trauma is AWESOME. When I volunteered there I got to go on the helipad. Best in the nation. It was my first choice. Too bad they don't love me.

Shock Trauma is awesome, I volunteered there in the TRU. I've never seen a trauma center quite like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, ok good. UMD is one of my top choices, so I got a little scared. Yeah, I was really impressed by the school too, and IMO the part of Baltimore where its in is FINE (not that anyone here said it wasnt, but i have heard over and over that its " in kind of a scary part of B-more")

Do they nofity receipt of primary app by e-mail? Send out secondary through e-mail? I'm getting worried. I like the Maryland area. Even though Columbia is not THAT close to U Maryland, still nice area.

Being from Baltimore, I can tell you that UMAB is not in the scary part of town. I would consider Hopkins Med (10 minutes away) much more worrisome.

I used to live in Columbia. It's only 15-20 minutes away. The traffic is not that bad going in the mornings and coming back in the evenings.

Ya the whole area thing sorta scares me.. what can I say, I'm a bubble girl so shoot me. I'm imagining walking around there at night is pretty much a reason to be shot ...
I swear.. I'm not even trying to be funny there.. ugh.

Anyway.. so what's a nice area to live around there? (I like how i'm being all pre-med-dy and thinking about where i could LIVE before I even heard a peep out of them)

Yeah I work right across the street from the Shock Trauma building. All the professional schools are clustered in this one area, so mostly you see docs, nurses, and techs walking around in white coats or scrubs. I don't feel nervous walking around there.

I hit traffic though driving on 83 if its before 9 am or after 445 pm

The area around the med school isn't bad at all. Don't know where you'd want to stay, I guess it would depend on whether you want to live downtown. I know that traffic northbound into the city along I95 to I395 isn't bad, if you want to live south of town.

They don't screen.

They are backstabbers though. I work there currently, did 2 separate summer internships there, am in state, and got my PI to write me a letter (hes a teacher there and head of a department). And no freakin' interview.

It's cool. No matter what happens you are still a winner to me.

Being from Baltimore, I can tell you that UMAB is not in the scary part of town. I would consider Hopkins Med (10 minutes away) much more worrisome.

I used to live in Columbia. It's only 15-20 minutes away. The traffic is not that bad going in the mornings and coming back in the evenings.

Of course being from there what isn't bad for you is probably miserable for someone like me. ;) I get angry and violent if I wait more than 10 minutes usually.

sweeeet...can you give me an acceptance?

well love. I can give you an acceptance to party it down with me and a hug that will only involve a little bit of flirting when you do get an acceptance... I'd say out of all the people on this site I am probably on the lower spectrum of the grades stuff so if I do get accepted one of these days I will have my kungfu death grip on that piece of paper...or my computer if it is an email or whatever.. :p

Woops
they only take In state??
I'm from NJ and I applied there....
no rejection yet, but also no interview...

I got an interview there and I'm from NJ. Buttt I also go to school in MD, so I don't know if that helped any.

i got an interview and im from pa with absolutely no ties to maryland.

but i'm not going to go now...i feel bad cuz it's soon but i really can't afford to go because i have so much school work to do.

OOOOH GIMME GIMME

ill tkae it zomg i'm tired of jhu but i love baltiomore...

I would like to go to that aquarium in Baltimore. I think it goes under the harbor a little bit.

I would like to go to that aquarium in Baltimore. I think it goes under the harbor a little bit.

The baltimore aquarium is awesome! If you interview on a Friday, you can get in for $5 after 5.

The baltimore aquarium is awesome! If you interview on a Friday, you can get in for $5 after 5.

I last visited that area for this past New Years. Apparently everything was like a dollar. The aquarium and the top of that building next to it. The lines were ridiculous so I never got a chance. I seriously think there was probably a 2+ hour wait. At least that's what it looked like compared to the lines here in Orlando at Universal and Disney.

Thoughts?
Maryland is actually an amazing school. They are like ranked in the top 5 (i think) for the amount of research money they are bringing in; you are only in lecture for 2 hours; every lecture is videotaped and put online; they have an organ based curriculum; they just hired another black dean of the medical school (says alot to me about how they view diversity);they have brand new lecture halls; instate tuition is bomb for us instaters; the Shock Trauma hospital is one of a kind in the nation; and I could really go on for awhile.

But honestly, its Ok that alot of people don't talk about them. As long as you match where you want to match, then no one really even cares where you went to medical school. I would hold my head up high if I matriculate there.

Thoughts?
They're a really great school (one of the oldest state schools in the U.S., too) but definitely not as non-traditional friendly as other schools. This was my experience when I applied as a Maryland resident and the experience of several other non-traditional friends who otherwise did well in the application cycle at other schools. Case in point: I asked the Dean of Admissions about their policy on admitting students that did their undergrad. outside of the U.S. and the Dean told me they have never had such an applicant. Hard to believe. I have a Ph.D. from a top-20 school in the U.S. and the Dean actually asked me why that school didn't have a problem admitting me with a foreign undergraduate degree! Terrible. I knew at that moment that I should be worried when a school that should know this basic information seems so dissociated from what goes on outside of their niche.

UMD does pretty decent research (for a state school) but they are most definitely not ranked in the top 5 for NIH funding as the previous said. A lot of their research is overshaddowed by Hopkins which is right down the street. Many UMD graduates match at Hopkins and I think it's because Hopkins is so used to knowing what an average UMD graduate is like - again because it's right down the street.

Like many state schools, UMD is pretty big on screening for 'numbers' at the front end. You will be trained well there. I hope that helps.

Being from the area, I have to rep Maryland:

I am not a med student there or anything, but I live very close to it and I've been there many times. Let me just say the things I know. First of all, someone thought it was a good idea to build UMM and Hopkins almost directly next to each other. They are literally only about five-ten minutes drive from each other. Anyway, I've been to many different locations and I hold Baltimore on a pedestal as far diversity is concerned. Yes, other places are diverse, but they're much more stratified than Baltimore. If that's important to you, (which it should be,) this is the place to come. People rag on the location but it's no different than any other major city; yes there is crime but you just have to know how to take care of yourself. Really, it's not that bad. If you're from a rural area then you may dislike it but if you're a city person then it's no big deal. Also there are many surburban areas nearby. There is also the Shock Trauma center which is the first home to emergency medical services in America. It is a landmark of emergency medicine and every other successful emergency medical service network in the world has been modeled after the one here. It also boasts a 90-plus percent success rate; (I forget the exact number). I'm guessing that you'll probably get a wide variety of cases here. Just my two cents.

Maryland is an awesome school. It is very well known locally and Baltimore Shock-Trauma set the standards for every trauma unit in existance today. The facilites are great; the faculty is great;innovative curriculum; loads of opportunities to do research and definitely located in a better part of Baltimore than Hopkins.

Since Maryland has only three medical schools, Uniformed School of Health Sciences in Bethesda (open to military only), Johns Hopkins in Baltimore (private and expensive) and UMD in Baltimore, University of Maryland does not take many out of state applicants. It also does not need to advertise to attract quality in-state applicants either.

That's where I volunteered too, when were you there?

Back in the summer of 2003. Around when they put up the new general ORs closer to the Trauma ORs.

Just got back from my Maryland interview. The school is sick, totally underrated in my opinion.:thumbup:

Thanks for the info people!

I really do like the school and pretty much think it's my first choice.. .

They do pretty decent research for a state school, but they are most definitely not ranked in the top 5 for NIH funding as the previous said. A lot of their research is overshaddowed by Hopkins which is right down the street. Many UMD graduates match at Hopkins and I think it's because Hopkins is so used to knowing what an average UMG graduate is like - again because it's right down the street.

According to NIH data for 2005 UMD is ranked 25th in terms of NIH-specific funding. The "top 5" ranking is actually something different. Taken from the UMD SOM website (http://medschool.umaryland.edu/research.asp):

"According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, our clinical faculty rank 4th in research expenditures per faculty in public medical schools. And, among all 125 medical schools, we rank 6th."

I hope that clears things up for those of you who want to be involved in research and are considering UMD. I'm currently a first year med student there, and I love it. I was out of state (MO) with absolutely no ties to MD so for the rest of you out-of-staters - don't give up hope!

According to NIH data for 2005 UMD is ranked 25th in terms of NIH-specific funding. The "top 5" ranking is actually something different. Taken from the UMD SOM website (http://medschool.umaryland.edu/research.asp):

"According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, our clinical faculty rank 4th in research expenditures per faculty in public medical schools. And, among all 125 medical schools, we rank 6th."

I hope that clears things up for those of you who want to be involved in research and are considering UMD. I'm currently a first year med student there, and I love it. I was out of state (MO) with absolutely no ties to MD so for the rest of you out-of-staters - don't give up hope!

Fine by me.. research bores teh living daylights out of me anyway. So would you mind if I PMed ? I still have a few things I'm not too clear on about UMD

Fine by me.. research bores teh living daylights out of me anyway. So would you mind if I PMed ? I still have a few things I'm not too clear on about UMD

Sure, go ahead. I'll try to respond within a timely manner.