How Common are Ethics/Healthcare Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What fraction of your interviews ask this question?

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 1/4

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 1/2

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • 3/4

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • All

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got to thinking about the ethics and healthcare type interview questions that EVERYONE seems to dread. And I'm wondering how many of your interviews actually asked this type of question. So give me the approximate fraction of your interviews (count individual interviewERS, so if you interviewed with 3 peope at 1 school, thats 3 separate interviews) that asked these kinds of tough questions.

I haven't had a single one and I can't decide if its weird, coincidence, reflects the kinds of schools I have interviewed at, or just isn't as common as we all think it is.

Members don't see this ad.

I had about half to 3/4 but half the time its me leading the discussion there.

So I got to thinking about the ethics and healthcare type interview questions that EVERYONE seems to dread. And I'm wondering how many of your interviews actually asked this type of question. So give me the approximate fraction of your interviews (count individual interviewERS, so if you interviewed with 3 peope at 1 school, thats 3 separate interviews) that asked these kinds of tough questions.

I haven't had a single one and I can't decide if its weird, coincidence, reflects the kinds of schools I have interviewed at, or just isn't as common as we all think it is.
I don't dread the ethics questions.....the ones I dread are the "How do we fix the healthcare system?" variety. Medical ethics interests me (I'm actually debating a master's degree in it), but I would rather lobotomize myself with a rusty shrimp fork than try to figure out how to provide the logistic and economics necessary to render medical care to the unwashed masses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of eleven individual interviewers so far, only one asked ethics questions (and no health care system questions).

I haven't noticed a trend as too ethics questions and interviews. I had an interview that went to two hours because we were bouncing those ethics questions and I've had interviews where I had none. Seems that if an interviewer was to get a few questions from a few categories, ethics would be 1/4 of the interview.

Out of eleven individual interviewers so far, only one asked ethics questions (and no health care system questions).

Yea - out of 8 interviews to date, only 1 asked a hypothetical ethics scenario & zero have asked about healthcare system issues....

I managed to get through 5 inerviews without being asked this question once:D

Cool - so it looks like its pretty uncommon for everyone. They should tell us that BEFORE interviews so we're less freaked out.

I would say it depends on the school... Univ. of Washington for example is known for asking ethical questions (and health care policy questions). The guy that interviewed after me there said that his entire interview consisted of two drawn out ethical role-playing scenarios... mine wasn't as bad.