how common are funded masters programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get into a Phd program but if not I was wondering how common funded masters programs are for clinical psych or neuro psych? I'm guessing somewhat rare but I'm not sure how rare, like only 3 in the country or like 300. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a lot of masters program out there that offer partial funding or funding on a competitive basis. If do a thorough search you will come across a decent number of guaranteed fully funded programs but just like with PhD programs these are competive.When I applied to graduate school this year (both PhD and masters programs) I made it a point to not even bother to apply to programs who didn't offer any kind of funding. Having said that, most of the masters programs only offered funding on a competive basis or partial funding. At most masters programs I was offered at least partial funding which was good but I believe that I deserve to not pay for schooling when i produce research and hence put the school's name out there. Luckily, I ended up in a program that was willing to accept me and offer me guarenteed assistantship (which includes a 90% tuition waiver including a fairly generous stipend for masters program.

Bottom line: You just gotta do your research. It is a little more tedious than researching PhD programs but I am glad I did it.

There is a lot of masters program out there that offer partial funding or funding on a competitive basis. If do a thorough search you will come across a decent number of guaranteed fully funded programs but just like with PhD programs these are competive.When I applied to graduate school this year (both PhD and masters programs) I made it a point to not even bother to apply to programs who didn't offer any kind of funding. Having said that, most of the masters programs only offered funding on a competive basis or partial funding. At most masters programs I was offered at least partial funding which was good but I believe that I deserve to not pay for schooling when i produce research and hence put the school's name out there. Luckily, I ended up in a program that was willing to accept me and offer me guarenteed assistantship (which includes a 90% tuition waiver including a fairly generous stipend for masters program.

Bottom line: You just gotta do your research. It is a little more tedious than researching PhD programs but I am glad I did it.

Could you give some suggestions on schools/programs that offer money for school? i have tried to search, but most grants i have found are for students who have already started masters programs. Ideally I would like to be certain i have that money before i actually start at a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you give some suggestions on schools/programs that offer money for school? i have tried to search, but most grants i have found are for students who have already started masters programs. Ideally I would like to be certain i have that money before i actually start at a program.

Wake Forest
Holyoke (in MA)
Villanova
College of William and Mary
Wesleyan University (CT)
Ball State University
Indiana State University
South Alabama University
University of the Pacific
Western Caroline University
Bucknell
University of Hartford

there is many more out there. Often times the information is kind of hidden on their website. As mentioned, most of these schools don't offer funding to all students or full funding.

I feel your frustration. It's hard searching, so many schools and so many programs. I want School Psych so it limits the colleges, but they still tend to "hide" the masters funding, include it with the PhD (which is misleading) or they are vague because most students don't get it.
It is worth it to look, maybe we can compile lists although information might change in time.

Wake Forest
Holyoke (in MA)
Villanova
College of William and Mary
Wesleyan University (CT)
Ball State University
Indiana State University
South Alabama University
University of the Pacific
Western Caroline University
Bucknell
University of Hartford

there is many more out there. Often times the information is kind of hidden on their website. As mentioned, most of these schools don't offer funding to all students or full funding.

Just a heads up, Wesleyan is not accepting students for 09-10 or 10-11. :thumbdown:

It's actually the University of South Alabama. FYI when you're looking:)

I got my master's at Augusta State University (Augusta, GA). About 10 of the students of each M.S. class (out of an average class size of 15-20) get assistantships, which provide a tuition waiver plus a small hourly wage ($6 an hour when I was there) in exchange for 10 hours of work per week.

A lot of schools are phasing out their clinical masters programs in favor of either a specific substance abuse concentration or trying to build up a phd program. Ok, I haven't looked at programs since last year, but that seemed to be the trend at that time. I know of two NC schools doing that currently.

Also, it's my understanding that if any school anywhere really wants you, they will fund you to attend their program. Even in social work (typically rarely funded), myself and a handful of classmates were able to secure aid from assistanceships, department scholarships, and an award from the school. I think it pretty much added up to the cost of tuition for the program.

I remember many years ago, when I first applied, I had a friend who applied to only masters' programs. She was a GREAT student who would have been an excellent doctoral candidate but didn't want to commit to anything for 5-7 years at that time... she received funding offers from every school where she applied even though many stated that they didn't fund master's students.

Good luck with your search. I'd go directly to department secretaries and ask about prior arrangements. They usually know everything going on in the administrative areas!