How common is it to get matched at an internship you put very low on your rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VSMT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
especially if you think they may have really liked you? This is for the upcoming VIRMP Match. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I matched to number 17 out of 20. It was one of the few programs I was able to do an in-person visit with...I visited and stayed for 4.5 days. It really depends on how competitive you are to other programs. My first 12 or so were big reach academic programs I knew I was unlikely to get but I still wanted to try, even though I liked the place I visited and seemed to get good feedback from them. Ultimately I loved the private practice I matched at and it was a great fit, but my advice is absolutely do not rank a place you are not willing to go because you never know what will happen with match.

Edit: my internmates all matched much higher on their list than I did, but they also ranked fewer. One ranked three, one ranked 4, and one ranked 5. They all had better grades than I did, but only one of them also visited the practice (and only for a single day at that). So it may also depend on what you mean by 'very' low...it's all somewhat relative.

Last edited:
Never rule it out. I matched at #2 out of 8, but I've known people who matched to the very last place on their list. If you wouldn't be okay with working there, don't put them on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched #1 my intern year and #2 my residency year--but it's as simple as this:

Don't rank a place you don't want to go to.

I matched #6 on my internship list. Agree with sns's advice. Don't rank if you won't go.

Maybe someone can clarify for me a bit about ranking "strategy?" I thought it was best to rank programs you like best higher, regardless of whether you are likely to match there. I read on a paper about the match algorithm that no one ranked lower than you (by a program) can "take your spot" (in said program).

To me this means there's no harm in reaching for an academic program (unlikely to pick me) even though there is a private place that is likely to rank me highly?
I'm confused because a lot of my classmates have said they are ranking places based on whether they think they are likely to match, not based on how much they like the program?! :confused:

Any thoughts or insight on this? This ranking business has got me in knots.:(

The human medical side of SDN has some good posts about how match works. It is the same format for vet med, albeit on a smaller scale. This one is pretty good. https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-the-nrmp-match-works.1117962/
There is a youtube video posted about halfway down that thread that is a good overview too. Other threads in that section are good as well, but I'd start there.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe someone can clarify for me a bit about ranking "strategy?" I thought it was best to rank programs you like best higher, regardless of whether you are likely to match there. I read on a paper about the match algorithm that no one ranked lower than you (by a program) can "take your spot" (in said program).

To me this means there's no harm in reaching for an academic program (unlikely to pick me) even though there is a private place that is likely to rank me highly?
I'm confused because a lot of my classmates have said they are ranking places based on whether they think they are likely to match, not based on how much they like the program?! :confused:

Any thoughts or insight on this? This ranking business has got me in knots.:(

Caveat: I apply to the match this coming cycle (2017 application for 2018 matriculation), so am not sure how it will turn out for me in the end. That being said, I have read a lot about it and feel that I have a solid grasp as to now the process works.

The match can essentially be broken down to 3 phases:
1. Select programs to which you'd like to apply
2. Interview for programs interested in you
3. Rank programs at which you interviewed in order of preference

You should rank programs almost as if they were in a vacuum (i.e. irrespective of how many other applicants there were for a given position and how you THINK you did on your interview). If you're a SA person and AMC is your dream position, rank it first. The match algorithm is set up to work in the applicant's favor. Every bit of advice I've read on the match warns against attempting to 'game' the system (i.e. Practice X said I was awesome. I'm not really thrilled with Practice X. I really like Practice Y, but don't have the confidence that I'll match at Y. Because I want to be sure that I match at a location, I'll rank X > Y). As other folks mentioned, including a program on your rank list is a tacit agreement that you'll attend if matched. If you're really unhappy with a site, don't rank it. Just remember, not including a site on your rank list means that you'd rather go unmatched as opposed to matriculating at said, unranked site.

Rank where you want to go, in order of your preference. Every other factor be damned. As an applicant, you have NO idea how interviews shook down, or what the program director/committee is truly looking for. Also, the applicant pool and its characteristics change every cycle. What was true one year, may be totally opposite the next.

Good Luck! The suggestion to search the human match advice/literature is a good one. Much of the information transfers to the VIRMP, with the exception of the importance placed on STEP scores in the human world. Also, lots of good residency PS advice on the human side as well.

Ultimately the practice has a higher say in who they get. So unless it's a 1 to 1 match, I say match where you want to go the most the highest.

Think about this scenario:

Student: Ranks Practice X #1 and Practice Y #2
Practice X ranks student #2
Practice Y ranks student #1

Student is matched to practice Y.

You should still take into consideration that places you interview or places that call about you you should rank them higher than you would have if you really want to play the game--you will never be able to visit all the places. I think I ranked a place I never visited, but that I interviewed at #3. I still would have been happy there, but it wasn't where I had them on my original rank list.

Ultimately the practice has a higher say in who they get. So unless it's a 1 to 1 match, I say match where you want to go the most the highest.

Think about this scenario:

Student: Ranks Practice X #1 and Practice Y #2

Student is matched to practice Y.

You should still take into consideration that places you interview or places that call about you you should rank them higher than you would have if you really want to play the game--you will never be able to visit all the places. I think I ranked a place I never visited, but that I interviewed at #3. I still would have been happy there, but it wasn't where I had them on my original rank list.

"Student: Ranks Practice X #1 and Practice Y #2

Student is matched to practice Y."

Actually, the student in this scenario could actually still match at Practice X-- if the student ranked #1 on Practice X's list put another practice first on their (student's) list, and matched there. That is how the system is designed to benefit the applicant.
That is why you ALWAYS rank your list in order of YOUR preference, regardless of any other factors.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for your responses; they were very reassuring. :bow:
I had read info regarding the match algorithm in human med and just wanted to make sure it was the exact same in vet med. I finally settled on a ranking list today after agonising over it for far too long. Now it's just a waiting game. :xf: :scared: