How common is it to require that your SSN be on your LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vikingvallhalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything.
I saw on the website of one of the schools I'm considering applying to that all of the LOR's you send in need to have your SSN on them, thats the first time I've seen that and my undergrad U LOR service doesn't include that on the instructions to the professors. Is this pretty common? I already have the three I wanted and I'd hate to have to ask the profs to resend the letters with my SSN

Members don't see this ad.

i've never heard of SSN. i think it's kind of crazy to put that information on a document that will be handled by so many people be it at interfolio or the admissions office.

i've heard of putting your AMCAS number on LORs and did that with my interfolio packets.

I second Jolie's account. I was requested to have my writers put my AMCAS ID on it. I'd have a problem sharing my SSN with so many people.

I don't know about SSN's...but I do know most schools want your AMCAS ID# on all LOR's, as Jolie South mentioned.